4-Hour NAIC Long-Term Care and Partnership
THIS COURSE MUST ONLY BE TAKEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY TAKEN THE 8-HOUR NAIC LTC COURSE DURING A PRIOR LICENSE PERIOD!
The Deficit Reduction Act made it possible for all states who wish to to offer Partnership for Long-term Care policies. The NAIC model law and regulation specify that agents must meet certain continuation requirements in order to sell this product. In most states, agents will be required to take an 8-hour course in order to transact any type of LTC/Partnership LTC insurance policies. Agents must then take a 4-hour CE course each license period.
This course will satisfy the requirement for ongoing CE required by your state to continue to sell LTC/Partnership insurance. If you have a group of agents to train, please contact us regarding group discounts or in-house training.
For the most up to date information about Long Term Care & Partnership in your state click here.
Virginia State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Single License: 16 hours biennially, 3 hours of ethics training
- More than one License: 24 hours biennially
Course Subject Requirements
- Must complete 3 hours in ethics (which may include Virginia laws and regulations)
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC. Failure to complete the Ongoing 4-hour training course within 24 months of completion of the Initial 8-hour training course, will forfeit recognition of the Initial 8-hour training course by the Virginia Department of Insurance, and will result in the Initial 8-hour training course having to be repeated.
- All Virginia licensed resident insurance agents who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
- At least 8 hours must be relevant to each license type if 24 hours is required. All hours must be relevant to license type held if 16 credit hours are required.
- Life, Annuities, and Health is considered a single license for CE purposes.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
12/31 of even numbered years
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, classroom study, or courses sponsored by an insurance company and/or agency in which only 75% of the CE requirement per reporting period may be earned.
Excess credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period, but hours must be reported in biennium in which course was taken.
Excess earned Insurance Law and Regulations (ILR) credits may be applied to cover other CE requirements in the current compliance period.
Courses (including courses approved to meet the law requirement) may not be taken more than once in each reporting period.
Exams taken and completed online do not need a monitor present.
For Paper exams, not online, are required to be monitored by a supervisor, supervisor-authorized co-worker, or test administrator, or disinterested third party. (i.e. an individual not related to or able to benefit from, action of the agent).
- A resident or nonresident agent who is at least 65 and can demonstrate that he/she has held any combination of resident or nonresident Virginia licenses of equivalent type continuously for at least 20 years.
- A resident agent who is at least 65 and will have held a Virginia resident license continuously for at no fewer than 4 years by the end of the biennium and can furnish proof of having held equivalent license authority continuously in other states for an additional 16 years, for a total of 20 years of continuous licensing.
- An agent who is at least 65 by the end of the biennium and has held a resident Virginia license continuously for the past 4 years as well as holding the same license authority for twenty of the past thirty years in Virginia without interruption by license revocation or Commission termination.
- Individuals who hold a limited line license, such as credit life/health, travel accident and travel baggage insurance agents.
- Non resident agents if their state has CE requirements and has a reciprocal agreement with Virginia
- Individuals may request a waiver for good cause, submit to Thomson Prometric
- Individuals who are licensed less than one year at the time of the first CE compliance date are exempt for that first reporting period.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be printed and mailed to your permanent address on file. Course provider is required to submit rosters for completed courses to the CE administrator. Agent will activate credit by entering course number and completion date from certificate of completion either online or by paper submission to CE administrator. If the credits have already been submitted on a roster and the agent has paid his or her $15 processing fee, the credits will be applied toward compliance. If a roster has not yet been submitted, the credits will remain in pending status until a roster is submitted by the provider. The agent keeps copies of the certificates of completion and the completed agent identification form in their files.
Nonresident producers have the following CE requirements unless exempt.
One license: 16 CE hours, including 2 hours in laws and regulations, are required every 2-year license term. Life, Annuities, and Health is considered a single license for CE purposes.
Two or more licenses: 24 CE hours, including 2 hours in laws and regulations, are required every 2-year license term. Virginia has course category restrictions.
Nonresident producers selling LTC must complete Virginia's LTC education requirements:
For Additional Information please Contact:
Bureau of Insurance
Agent Licensing Section
P.O. Box 1157
Richmond, VA 23218
Fax: (804) 371-9349
Thomson Prometric 1-800-482-2366
State Website: http://www.scc.virginia.gov/boi/index.aspx
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.