Understanding Medicare, Medicaid & Medicare Supplements
This course is intended to provide agents with the basics of Medicare and Medicaid and the insurance policies to supplement them. Upon completion of this course, agents will have a thorough understanding of all of Medicare, including Parts A-D; who is eligible, how it works, and the benefits of this program. Agents will also learn all aspects associated with Medicaid including eligibility, options, what is covered and the future issues their clients will face. Finally, upon completion of this course, agents will understand all of the aspects of Medicare Supplements including Medigap policies, how to assess a clients needs, and which policy will best benefit a client.
Maine State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- 3 hours of ethics must be included as part of the total 24 hour requirement.
- All Maine licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
License continuation. Continuation date is the end of the licensee's birth month in even or odd years. Licensees born in even years will have continuation dates in even years. Licensees born in odd years will have continuation dates in odd years.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom study.
No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
No CE credit may be earned for repeating a course previously taken during the same biennium.
Self-study exams are not required to be monitored.
- Individuals holding limited licenses (such as title insurance).
- Individuals licensed less than one year at the time of the first CE compliance date are exempt for that first reporting period.
- Nonresident producers who meet their home states' CE requirements are exempt from Maine CE requirements if that home state has a reciprocal arrangement with Maine.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider mails a report of credits earned to the insurance bureau within one business day of course completion. Producer keeps the original certificates of completion on his or her files.
Nonresident licensees must hold an active license in their resident state. Satisfaction of a nonresident producer's home state's CE requirements for licensed insurance producers constitutes satisfaction of this State's continuing education requirements, if the nonresident producer's home state recognizes the satisfaction of its continuing education requirements by producers from this State on the same basis.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Maine Insurance Bureau
34 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0034
Maine Department of Insurance
76 Northern Ave.
Gardiner, ME 04345
Phone: (207) 624-8411 -OR- (207) 624-8412 -OR- (207) 624-8413
Fax: (207) 624-8599
State Website: http://maine.gov/pfr/insurance/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!