North Carolina State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
Agents and Adjusters:
- 24 CE credit hours, including 3 hours of ethics, are required biennially for a single license.
Course Subject Requirements
- All courses must be licensed related courses.
- Each person holding a property and liability, personal lines, or adjuster license shall complete a continuing education course on flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program within two years after January 1, 2008, and every four years thereafter.
- L/H agents complete 9 hours L/H and 3 hours in general insurance.
- LH/PC-combined licensees must complete at least 6 credit hours in LH courses and at least 6 hours in PC courses.
- L/H agents may only complete 75% of the required hours in insurer- sponsored courses.
- Effective March 7, 2011: Initial 8-hour training requirement: All producers licensed prior to March 7, 2011 must complete an initial 8-hour training course by March 7, 2012 before they can sell, solicit, or negotiate long-term care partnership products. All producers licensed on or after March 7, 2011 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
- Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to North Carolina's law will be deemed compliant with this requirement only if the insurance company chooses to accept the training completed in another state.
- Ongoing 4-hour training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour LTCP training requirement, producers must complete a 4 hour follow-up training course every 24-month compliance period following the initial training. *Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to North Carolina's law will be deemed compliant with this requirement only if the insurance company chooses to accept the training completed in another state.
The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
Public Adjusters renew on 3/31 annually.
License Renewal Date
No license renewals in this state. License is perpetual as long as agent does not go more than 1 year without a valid appointment and meets CE requirement.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study online courses or classroom.
The North Carolina Department of Commerce requires that all online interactive continuing education courses record the actual time the student spends in the course and not allow access to the final exam until the student's time equals the number of approved credit hours for the course. The course must also be stopped if the student has been inactive for more than 15 minutes. Seat time is calculated by 50 minutes equals 1 credit hour.
Excess credit hours can be carried forward to the next license term. Excess hours in ethics or flood insurance will carry forward as general credit. Only whole credit hours will be carried forward.
Credit hours that are carried over from a previous compliance period may be taken again in the next compliance period, and WILL NOT be considered a duplicate.
Credit will not be given for a course taken more than once in a two year period.
Final exams for correspondence courses are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party. ONLINE EXAMS DO NOT REQUIRE A MONITOR. If the course consists of simply a book or exam, a monitor must be present.
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the calendar year in which the license is issued.
- Individuals who are at least 65 years of age, have been licensed continuously for at least 25 years, and either a) hold a CLU, CPCU, ChFC, FLMI or IIA designation, or b) certify that they are inactive insurance agency owners who neither solicit applications for insurance nor take part in the day-to-day operation of the agency. Effective 10/1/10, these licensee's will continue to be exempt from completing all of the CE requirements except for ethics and/or flood.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be printed and mailed to your permanent address on file. The course provider reports credits earned to the insurance department with in 15 business days of course completion. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files for 3 years.
A roster fee of $1.65 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in North Carolina and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
- Exempt if licensee meets home state CE requirement. Licensee must submit filing fee to the insurance department by March 1.
- Nonresident adjusters can complete 12 hours of property/ casualty courses approved by their home state.
For Additional Information please Contact:
North Carolina Department of Insurance
Agent Services Division
1204 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1204
Phone: (919) 807-6800
Fax: (919) 715-3794
State Website: http://www.ncdoi.com/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.