North Dakota State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
24 hours, including 3 hours of ethics, per biennial reporting period
Crop licensed agents must complete at least 12 hours per reporting period,6 hours annually
Course Subject Requirements
Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
All North Dakota Property licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies under the NFIP must complete a one-time 3 credit course related to the NFIP.
All producers must complete Annuity training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Continuing Education Compliance/Reporting Date
The license expiration date is the last day of the producer's birth month every 2 years.
License Renewal Date
Same as compliance date
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or Classroom
Final exams for self-study do not need to be monitored
A maximum if 12 hours, earned only in the second half of the biennial reporting period, may be carried over to the next reporting period
Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a 2 year period.
- Individuals licensed exclusively for the sale of legal expense insurance, title insurance, travel baggage insurance, surety bonds, bail bonds, and credit life/accident & health insurance.
- Individuals who are at least 62 years old and whose combined total continuous years of license plus their age equals 85 or more.
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the calendar year in which they are first licensed. Beginning January 1 of the year following licensing they must comply with continuing education requirements.
- Non-resident agents who meet their home state CE requirements.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the insurance department. The licensee transfers information from the certificates of completion to North Dakota's summary report form. The summary report and the CE filing fee must be submitted to the insurance department by the compliance date. The licensee keeps a copy of the summary report and the original certificates of completion in their files for at least 1 year.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in North Dakota and will be added ot the order total upon checkout.
Exempt if licensee meets home state CE requirement. Nonresidents submit a signed and dated statement from the Producer Database (PDB) indicating the producer is active in the state where the resident license is maintained along with the $25.00 filing fee.
For Additional Information please Contact:
North Dakota Insurance Department
5th Floor, State Capitol Building
600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept. 401
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
Phone: (701)328-3548 ext. 1 or (701) 328-3548 ext. 2
State Website: http://www.state.nd.us/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.