FEMA Flood Insurance
This course will teach agents the various issues set forth in the Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2004. This course is written according to the guidelines published by FEMA and agents will learn how to deal with who needs flood insurance, flood maps and boundary lines, what is and what is not covered, eligible and ineligible buildings and structures, how to file a claim and policy exclusions and coverages. At the completion of this course, agents will be able to better recommend and assist their clients and themselves when issuing flood insurance policies according to the standards and rules set forth by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Montana State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- All resident insurance producers, consultants and surplus lines licensees will be required to complete 24 CE credit hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
Producers who hold a credit life/ disability license must complete 5 hrs biennially.
Adjusters are required to complete 24 CE credit hours biennially and will begin reporting CE with the renewal reports due 01/01/2007.
Course Subject Requirements
- Resident and non residents must complete 1 credit hour of Montana law, biennially.
- Producers licensed for limited lines only must complete the 5 hour requirement in insurance law, ethics, and/or credit life and credit disability insurance.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Same as License Renewal Date. The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. (The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.)
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses or classroom study.
Carryover not allowed.
Courses may not be repeated for credit.
Final exam must be monitored by a training director or disinterested third party. (i.e. an individual not related to or able to benefit from the actions of the agent)
- The licensee holds a temporary license.
- The licensee has been otherwise exempted by the Montana commissioner.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once you have completed your exam. Licensees must file prior to the compliance deadline. Filing forms will be mailed to the licensee prior to the filing deadline. The producer keeps a copy of the filing forms and the original certificates of completion in their files for 3 years. Licensees may also file continuing education credits online.
- Nonresident producer submit letter of certification (not more than 90 days old) or current printout from the PDB showing compliance with home state CE, a completed Montana summary report form and nonresident license renewal fee to the insurance department by the renewal date.
- Nonresident adjusters who do not have a home state requirement must meet this state's continuing education requirement.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Montana Insurance Division
840 Helena Avenue
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (800) 332-6148 or (406)444-2040
State Website: http://www.sao.mt.gov/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Monitor Instructions - General
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).