FEMA Flood Insurance
This course will teach agents the various issues set forth in the Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2004. This course is written according to the guidelines published by FEMA and agents will learn how to deal with who needs flood insurance, flood maps and boundary lines, what is and what is not covered, eligible and ineligible buildings and structures, how to file a claim and policy exclusions and coverages. At the completion of this course, agents will be able to better recommend and assist their clients and themselves when issuing flood insurance policies according to the standards and rules set forth by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Colorado State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours are required every two years.
Course Subject Requirements
- At least 18 of the required 24 CE hours required must cover the lines of insurance for which the producer is licensed. Personal Lines agents may complete P/C approved courses to meet their CE requirement.
- At least 3 of the total required hours must be in Ethics.
- There is a 16 hour LTC education requirement for producers who wish to sell LTC products. The first 8 hours may be taken in class or self study, but the last 8 hours MUST be taken in class. For continuing education after completing the initial 16-hour training, producers must complete 5 hours of continuing education in a classroom setting every 2 years.
- All Colorado producers who sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood insurance Program (NFIP) training.
- All Colorado resident producers engaged in the sale, consultation, or adjustment of claims-made policies must complete a one-time 2-hour state approved course on claims-made policies.
- Effective April 1, 2011: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours by October 1, 2011. All producers licensed on or after April 1, 2011 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Renewal (continuation) date is the last day of your birth every two years thereafter.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom courses.
12 excess CE credits earned during the 120 days prior to the compliance date may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a two year period, with the exception of statutory update courses.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (neither an immediate supervisor or an employee of the student).
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the first compliance period.
- Any person licensed only for one or more of the following: Professional Bail Bondsperson, Title, Limited Lines Credit, Crop Hail, Health Maintenance Organization, Limited Insurance Representative/Travel Ticket and Nonprofit Hospital Surgical Medical.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you after you have completed your exam. The course provider will report credits earned to the CE Administrator within one business day of exam completion. The producer must keep certificates of completion in his or her files for at least five years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Colorado Division of Insurance
Producer's Licensing Unit
1560 Broadway, Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 733-9395 or 303-894-7499
FAX: (303) 894-7455 or 303-894-7455
State Website: http://www.dora.state.co.us/Insurance/
To Check the Status of Your CE Credits
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- 1. Go to http://www.sircon.com/
- 2. Click, "For Producers/Agents"
- 3. Click, "Obtain Education Information"
- 4. Click, "Education Transcript Inquiry"
- 5. Input your SSN, choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your License number.
- 6. Click, "Submit".
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Monitor Instructions - General
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).