Pennsylvania State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Insurance Producers must complete 24 hours of CE credits biennially.
- Title agents who are also attorneys and have completed their continuing legal education (CLE) requirement need only complete 3 hours biennially.
- All Pennsylvania property insurance producers must complete a one-time course related to the NFIP Flood requirement. The producer licensee will receive three hours of continuing education credits for completion of this course.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- Agents wishing to sell flood insurance must also complete a one-time, 3 hour flood course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Certificate renews biennially based upon initial license effective date. To avoid possible lapse in licensure, it is recommended by the state that CE be completed in SUFFICIENT time to allow for reporting, processing, and issuance of a certificate of completion.
Certificate Renewal Date
Certificate renewal date is the last day of the producers birth month, biennially.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom.
A maximum of 24 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in each biennial reporting period.
Self-study final exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party, who is anyone other than a relative or supervisor.
- Producers licensed prior to January 1, 1971, who have been continuously licensed without adding additional lines of authority.
- Public adjusters
- Surplus Lines licensees
- Insurance Producers whose only line of authority is a restricted line.
- Individuals exempted by the commissioner due to hardship or good cause such as disability or medical condition.
- Individuals who first obtained licenses without examination under Section 609(c) of the Fraternal Benefit Societies Code and whose appointments are limited to fraternal benefit societies.
- Non-residents (except Title agents) are exempt if home state has a CE requirement.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be emailed to you once we receive your monitor form and report you for the course. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE administrator within one business days of course completion. The administrator sends confirmation of the credits and the producer's updated status to the producer. The producer keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for six years.
Exempt, except Title agents. Title agents must complete Pennsylvania CE requirements, regardless of CE met in their home state.
Effective April 1, 2011, all producers licensed prior to April 1, 2011 must complete an initial 8-hour training course on long-term care products by April 1, 2012. All producers licensed on or after April 1, 2011 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
After completing the initial 8-hour LTC training requirement, producers must complete a 4 hour follow-up training course every 24-month compliance period following the initial training. Non-Residents who have completed an NAIC 4-Hour course in another state will be deemed compliant with Pennsylvania's requirement.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Pennsylvania Insurance Dept.
Bureau of Producer Licensing
1326 Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120
PHONE: (717) 787-3840 or (866) 241-3113
FAX: (717) 787-8553
State Website: www.state.pa.us/
To check the status of your CE credits for your state:
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- 1. Go to http://www.sircon.com/
- 2. Click, "For Producers/Agents"
- 3. Click, "Obtain Education Information"
- 4. Click, "Education Transcript Inquiry"
- 5. Input your SSN, choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your License number
- 6. Click, "Submit".
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.