Ethics & the Insurance Agent
Upon completion of this course, agents will be able to understand the importance of ethics when dealing with clients. Agents will learn the standards and requirements they are supposed to uphold, and how to successfully implement these when dealing with both clients and insurance companies. This course will allow the agents to create both a personal and professional code of ethics which they can follow in each and every aspect of their business. This course includes an overview of a variety of topics related to state and federal laws, including unfair trade practices, false or misleading advertisements, and privacy protection acts. These and the many other topics addressed in the course will provide all agents with a firm understanding of what it means to use ethical decision making, and how it will help them be a better agent and person.
Washington State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Producers: 24 hours biennially.
- Individuals licensed for vehicle authority will be required to comply with continuing education requirements beginning with renewals.
Course Subject Requirements
- No more than 8 CE credit hours can be completed in a 24 hour period.
- Agents must complete 3 hours of ethics education.
- Agents can take courses from any license type to complete their CE, however, the OIC suggests that licensees take courses covering the lines of insurance they are involved with most often.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- Agents wishing to sell flood insurance must also complete a one-time, 3 hour flood course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.
- Effective March 29, 2012: all agents wishing to sell annuities must also complete a one-time, 4 hour annuities course by September 29, 2012.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Same as license renewal date.
License Renewal Date
License renewal date is the licensee's date of birth, biennially.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom.
Carryover of excess CE credit hours is not allowed.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a three year period.
Final exams are not required to be monitored.
- Nonresidents (unless they sell long-term care).
- Individuals who are at least 65 years of age, are retired from active selling of insurance products and no longer represent any insurer or insurance agency.
- Any person who believes that good cause exists may request a waiver of the CE requirement.
- Resident adjusters and producers holding only limited credit insurance, travel insurance, or surety licenses are exempt from CE requirements.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider will submit credits earned to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for three years. LTC credits: the insurer certifies to the Commissioner that its appointees are in compliance with the requirement.
Exempt, except for long-term care requirement.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Office of Ins. Commissioner
P.O. Box 40257
Olympia, WA 98504-0257
Phone: (360) 725-7146 or (360) 725-7144
Fax: (360) 586-2019
or Promissor - (800) 274-8949
State Website: http://www.insurance.wa.gov/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!