Ethics & the Insurance Agent
Upon completion of this course, agents will be able to understand the importance of ethics when dealing with clients. Agents will learn the standards and requirements they are supposed to uphold, and how to successfully implement these when dealing with both clients and insurance companies. This course will allow the agents to create both a personal and professional code of ethics which they can follow in each and every aspect of their business. This course includes an overview of a variety of topics related to state and federal laws, including unfair trade practices, false or misleading advertisements, and privacy protection acts. These and the many other topics addressed in the course will provide all agents with a firm understanding of what it means to use ethical decision making, and how it will help them be a better agent and person.
Delaware State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Resident licensees are required to complete 24 credit hours of Department approved education subjects, 3 of which shall be in ethics subjects, during each biennium reporting period.
- Adjusters, Public Adjusters & Fraternal Producers shall be required to fulfill 12 credit hours of Department approved education subjects, 3 of which shall be in ethics subjects during each biennium reporting period.
Course Subject Requirements
- All producers and adjusters must complete 3 hours in ethics as part of their regular CE requirement.
- Resident producers that hold a health license and solicits long term care policies, must complete at least 3 hours of training in Delaware long term care insurance that consist of product knowledge, laws, rules and regulations, as part of his/her biennial requirement. The long term care CE requirement does not need to be met prior to solicitation of the product, however, the requirement must be met during the biennium that the long term care policy was solicited.
- Any resident licensee who is authorized to write homeowners or personal lines coverage shall be required to complete a one time two (2) hour continuing education course related to flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program as part of the twenty-one (21) general credit hours necessary to maintain a Delaware resident license.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Residents renew February 28, even numbered years. Non-residents renew February 28, odd numbered years.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, internet based courses and classroom courses.
A maximum of 5 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period. The carryover credits shall not apply to the ethics credit requirement.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a 2 year compliance period.
Final exam is not required to be monitored.
- Individuals licensed only for title or public carrier insurance.
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the biennium in which the license is issued.
- Resident adjusters licensed for Fidelity & Surety and/or Marine & Transportation.
- Non-resident adjusters.
- Limited lines producer licensed for life insurance or annuity products used solely to fund a pre-need arranged funeral program.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. A copy of the course report form must be submitted to the insurance department by the compliance date. The licensee keeps the original course report form and certificate of completion in his or her files for 3 years.
Producers and adjusters meet the CE requirement of their resident state. Verification of license status will be confirmed through the NAIC Producer Database (PDB).
For Additional Information please Contact:
Delaware Insurance Department
841 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904-2465
Phone: (302)739-4254 ext 147 or 302-674-7300
Fax: (302) 739-5280
State Website: http://www.delawareinsurance.gov/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!