South Carolina State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
- Multi line (property and casualty and life, accident and health) producers must complete 24 hours, including 8 hours in each line of authority and 3 hours of ethics.
- Producers with reduced compliance requirements (15 hours) must complete 12 hours in the line of authority held including 3 hours of ethics. Multi-line producers with reduced compliance requirements (15 hours) must complete 6 hours in each line of authority and 3 hours of ethics.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, including distance learning, intranet, Internet, CD Rom, and any other means of electronic information communication; or classroom study.
A maximum of 18 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken more than once in a 2 year period.
Final exam for self-study must be monitored by a state-approved proctor.
- A licensee holding a limited license to sell only credit life, credit health insurance, bail bonds and travel accident and baggage insurance;
- A licensee outside the United States or its territories;
- A licensee who is a resident attorney licensed to practice law in the state;
- A licensee who is an employee of a trade association holding a limited license to sell only surety bonds to its association members;
- A licensee who has reached the age of 65 prior to July 1, 2006 and has been licensed for at least 10 years or who have reached 65 after July 1, 2006 and have been licensed for at least 10 years and who no longer sell, solicit or negotiate insurance.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE administrator (Thomson Prometric). The producer keeps original certificates of completion in their files. The CE administrator sends a company report to the sponsoring insurance company, listing the agents who have met the CE requirement. The CE administrator will bill the agent for the annual CE record keeping fee.
All producers licensed in South Carolina as of June 2, 2009 are required to renew their producer license and pay a $25 license renewal fee by the last day of their birth month.
The $25 license renewal fee is payable as a part of the online producer license renewal process. Producers receiving a CE exemption are still required to renew their license and pay the $25 license renewal fee by the last day of their birth month.
**For licensees renewing in 2011, the license renewal fee is $12.50.
Exempt if agent meets home state CE requirement. CE Administrator will verify home state compliance on the PDB.
For Additional Information please Contact:
South Carolina Insurance Department
Licensing & Education Division
1201 Main St., Suite 1000
Columbia, SC 29201
P.O. Box 100105
Columbia, SC 29202-3105
Phone: (803) 737-6095 or 803-737-6223
State Website: http://www.doi.sc.gov/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Monitor Instructions - South Carolina
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored.
You must be monitored while taking this exam, all monitors must be disinterested third parties, people whom would have no financial gain or interest in your taking or passing the exam. Family, co-workers etc would be excluded from monitoring your exam. Please see the monitor form for detailed instructions:
The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).