4-Hour NAIC Long-Term Care and Partnership
THIS COURSE MUST ONLY BE TAKEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY TAKEN THE 8-HOUR NAIC LTC COURSE DURING A PRIOR LICENSE PERIOD!
The Deficit Reduction Act made it possible for all states who wish to to offer Partnership for Long-term Care policies. The NAIC model law and regulation specify that agents must meet certain continuation requirements in order to sell this product. In most states, agents will be required to take an 8-hour course in order to transact any type of LTC/Partnership LTC insurance policies. Agents must then take a 4-hour CE course each license period.
This course will satisfy the requirement for ongoing CE required by your state to continue to sell LTC/Partnership insurance. If you have a group of agents to train, please contact us regarding group discounts or in-house training.
For the most up to date information about Long Term Care & Partnership in your state click here.
South Dakota State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 10 hours biennially
- 20 hours biennially for combined LH/PC license
- 4 hours biennially for crop hail agents
- Farm Mutual insurer license: 10 hours biennially in P/C insurance
- Personal Lines license: 10 hours biennially in P/C insurance
- Crop and L/H or P/C: 10 hours biennially- max 2 hours in crop and 8 hours in major line
- Crop and L/H and P/C: 20 hours biennially- max 2 hours in crop
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be for taken in lines for which license is held
- LH/PC combined licensees must complete at least 8 hours devoted to one line
- No more than 50% of required hours may be earned from one insurance company
- Courses that are designated as General Hours may be applied as either L/H or P/C but not as crop
- All South Dakota licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies complete a one-time course related to the NFIP Flood requirement. The producer licensee will receive three hours of continuing education credits for completion of this course.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The renewal date is the last day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
License Renewal Date
The renewal date is the same as the CE compliance date.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, classroom study, internet courses, and company sponsored courses (are limited to 50% of requirement for each line)
Credit will not be give for a course that is repeated within a reporting period.
Final exam does not need to be monitored.
- Individuals who have a limited license to sell only credit life or credit health insurance.
- A resident attorney who is licensed to practice in South Dakota.
- Individuals who reside outside the United States but hold a South Dakota license
- Individuals who are employed by a trade association and hold a limited license to sell only surety bonds to the association members.
- Individuals who are at least 65 years old and have been licensed in South Dakota for at least 10 years
- Limited or restricted licensees that the director may exempt
- Non residents
- Individuals who are transportation ticket producers of common carriers holding a limited license to sell only travel accident and baggage insurance.
- Individuals who hold limited license to sell only bail bonds
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The licensee transfers information from the certificates of completion to South Dakota's verification form and attaches copies of the certificates. The verification form and copies of certificates must be submitted to the insurance division by the compliance date. The licensee keeps a copy of the verification form and the original certificates of completion in his or her files for two years.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in South Dakota and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
Exempt. Must complete state-specific LTC training if they have taken the initial 8 hour course for another state.
For Additional Information please Contact:
South Dakota Insurance Division
445 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3513 or (605) 773-3946
Fax: (605) 773-5369
State Website: http://www.state.sd.us/insurance
System Requirements: Please note that Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here
Or Mozilla Firefox 3.5 or higher: Download here are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center.
This course is taken online in a slideshow format. Throughout the course lessons there will be questions and interactions for you to assist you in the learning process. These interactions may be multiple choice questions, matching terms, sequencing terms, etc.
After all of the lessons are completed, you can proceed to the final exam.
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab, and Help Center for more information.
This course is available to the student for one calendar year from the time of purchase.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.