NAIC Long-Term Care and PartnershipThe Deficit Reduction Act made it possible for all states who wish to to offer Partnership for Long-term Care policies. The NAIC model law and regulation specify that agents must meet certain continuation requirements in order to sell this product. In most states, agents will be required to take this 8-hour course in order to transact any type of LTC insurance, but especially the new Partnership policies. In a few states a specific state curriculum will be required, either in addition to, or instead of the 8-hour course.
We are offering the 8-hour course as well as specific state curriculums or supplements which are required by NAIC model Act in order to sell the expansion of Long-term care partnership programs under the DRA, and the price is as low as $19.50 per student. If you have a group of agents to train, please contact us regarding group discounts or in-house training.
For the most up to date information about Long Term Care & Partnership in your state click here.
Colorado State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours are required every two years.
Course Subject Requirements
- At least 18 of the required 24 CE hours required must cover the lines of insurance for which the producer is licensed. Personal Lines agents may complete P/C approved courses to meet their CE requirement.
- At least 3 of the total required hours must be in Ethics.
- There is a 16 hour LTC education requirement for producers who wish to sell LTC products. The first 8 hours may be taken in class or self study, but the last 8 hours MUST be taken in class. For continuing education after completing the initial 16-hour training, producers must complete 5 hours of continuing education in a classroom setting every 2 years.
- All Colorado producers who sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood insurance Program (NFIP) training.
- All Colorado resident producers engaged in the sale, consultation, or adjustment of claims-made policies must complete a one-time 2-hour state approved course on claims-made policies.
- Effective April 1, 2011: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours by October 1, 2011. All producers licensed on or after April 1, 2011 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Renewal (continuation) date is the last day of your birth every two years thereafter.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom courses.
12 excess CE credits earned during the 120 days prior to the compliance date may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a two year period, with the exception of statutory update courses.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (neither an immediate supervisor or an employee of the student).
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the first compliance period.
- Any person licensed only for one or more of the following: Professional Bail Bondsperson, Title, Limited Lines Credit, Crop Hail, Health Maintenance Organization, Limited Insurance Representative/Travel Ticket and Nonprofit Hospital Surgical Medical.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you after you have completed your exam. The course provider will report credits earned to the CE Administrator within one business day of exam completion. The producer must keep certificates of completion in his or her files for at least five years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Colorado Division of Insurance
Producer's Licensing Unit
1560 Broadway, Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 733-9395 or 303-894-7499
FAX: (303) 894-7455 or 303-894-7455
State Website: http://www.dora.state.co.us/Insurance/
To Check the Status of Your CE Credits
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- 1. Go to http://www.sircon.com/
- 2. Click, "For Producers/Agents"
- 3. Click, "Obtain Education Information"
- 4. Click, "Education Transcript Inquiry"
- 5. Input your SSN, choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your License number.
- 6. Click, "Submit".
Seminars & Classroom Courses
These courses are instructor led programs, usually in a live classroom setting, and do not require you to pass an exam to receive CE credit for the course.
You must choose one of the locations listed in the options above. Please make note of the address of the seminar you choose. You will also receive an email confirmation of your enrollment, which will include the address of the seminar. You can return here to review the address if you misplace it before the class.
All of our seminars begin at 8:30 AM and end at 4:30 PM unless otherwise noted on your confirmation notice. Please arrive at the classroom at least 10 minutes before the starting time on your confirmation notice. All students must be signed-in and seated BEFORE the official class start-time. If you arrive late, please DO NOT interrupt the class in session. You can talk to the instructor at the first break regarding the possibility of obtaining credit for the class or rescheduling for another date. Remember, these classes fill up quickly, and there is usually little or no room for agents who arrive at the last minute without registering in advance.
Cell phones must be turned off during the entire duration of the seminar. You will have time to return messages and make calls during breaks and at lunch.
During the class, you must not have any materials on your desk except the textbook or handout provided by the instructor. By law, students who are reading other materials, talking to other students, sleeping, or otherwise not participating in the learning experience are not allowed to receive CE credit!
Absolutely no recruiting or marketing for products, services, employment or any other activity is allowed at any time during the seminar - including during breaks and lunch. Students caught doing this may be asked to leave immediately and will NOT receive a refund.
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!