West Virginia State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 CE credit hours biennially, 3 hours of which must be approved Ethics courses.
- Agents who sell only pre-need burial insurance contracts or who engage solely in telemarketing insurance products using a scripted presentation that has been filed with and approved by the insurance commissioner must complete six hours triennially.
- Agents who only sell limited lines must complete 6 hours, including 3 hours of ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- 3 hours must be in Ethics approved courses.
- All West Virginia licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
- An individual who attends a professional designation class, or takes a self-study course and passes the national exam will receive 24 CE credit hours.
- Agents wishing to sell annuities must also complete a one-time, 4 hour annuities course.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The CE compliance period begins July 1 and ends June 30 every 2 years on even numbered years. The current compliance period is July 1, 2010-June 30, 2012. All resident producers whose original license date is prior to July 1, 2011, must comply with continuing education by June 30, 2012. Resident producers whose original license date is on or after July 1, 2011, (start of the second year of the biennium) are exempt for that compliance period.
The renewal date is the last day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
Types of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study or Classroom study.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (i.e. someone with no business or family relationship to the student).
Up to 6 CE credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a biennium.
- Individuals who are licensed only limited lines credit.
- A newly licensed individual who received their license on or after 7/1 of the second year of a biennium is exempt for the first reporting period.
- Individuals holding limited lines licenses for which an exam is not required.
- Individuals holding any limited or restricted license that the commissioner may declare exempt.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to Thomson Prometric. The agent keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files.
A roster fee of $1.50 per CE hour is required to process course completion hours in West Virginia and will be added to the order upon checkout.
For Additional Information please Contact:
West Virginia Insurance Department
Agents Licensing & Education
P.O. Box 50541
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: (304) 558-0610
Fax: (304) 558-4966
Thomson Prometric: (800) 805-9127
State Website: http://www.wvinsurance.gov/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
Monitor Instructions - West Virginia
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!