Rhode Island State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
3 hours of ethics must be included in the total CE requirement.
A minimum of 5 hours must be completed in each line held by the producer.
All Rhode Island property insurance producers must complete a one-time course related to the NFIP Flood requirement. The producer licensee will receive three hours of continuing education credits for completion of this course.
Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Agents wishing to sell annuities must also complete a one-time, 4 hour annuities course.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
License Renewal Date
Same as continuing education compliance date.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, classroom study, online, or seminar.
A maximum of 12 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be repeated more than once in a 2 year period.
Final Exams to be monitored by a disinterested third party. The monitor can be any impartial person who is not concerned with the result of the examination or the success of the student. The monitor cannot be related (by family) to the student. (Examples are: teachers, librarians, church leaders, neighbors, etc.).
- Residents holding licenses for which a licensing examination is not required
- Limited line credit insurance licensees
- Adjusters and appraisers
- Nonresident licensees who meet the CE requirements established by the insurance department in their home state if the home state is reciprocal with the State of Rhode Island. Nonresident producers are not exempt from the NAIC LTC training requirement. See "Nonresident CE Requirements" above for further information.
- Individuals who are at least 55 years old at the time of renewal and have been licensed continuously for 25 years without lapse.
- Individuals who are at least 60 years old by July 3, 2004 and have been licensed continuously for at least 20 years without lapse at the time of renewal.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be emailed to you once we receive a monitor form for your course. Producer reports compliance at license renewal. If renewing online, producer completes online renewal process. Fax a copy of the transaction confirmation page with copies of the certificates of completion. If renewing on paper, attach copies of certificates of completion and submit with renewal form.
Exempt, if holds nonresident license and home state has a reciprocal agreement with Rhode Island. Exemption does not include the CE tracking fee. If no CE reciprocal agreement, licensee must comply with Rhode Island's CE requirement.
For Additional Information please Contact:
State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Department of Business Regulation
1511 Pontiac Ave., Bldg 69-2
Cranston, RI 02920
State's website: http://www.dbr.state.ri.us/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.