New York State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
Agent and Public Adjuster
- Fifteen (15) CE credit hours are required biennially for a single license.
- Thirty (30) CE credit hours are required biennially for combined L/H and P/C.
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- LH/PC-combined licensees must complete the full CE requirement in courses approved for LH and the full CE requirement for PC. Courses that are approved for both P/C and L/H ("bridge courses") may be simultaneously applied to the L/H requirement & the P/C requirement, if taken within the biennial licensing period.
- All New York licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
- The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years. A newly issued or transitioned license will be between 24 and 48 months in duration.
- The license term for public adjusters ends on 12/31 of even years.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses (with monitored final exams, including internet and computer based courses), Classroom, Speeches/seminars
Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a reporting period.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a state approved individual or organization.
- Individuals who have a limited line license for which an exam is not required in New York.
- Newly licensed individuals who have held their license for less than a full 2-year period.
- Individuals on active military duty.
- Individuals who hold an independent adjuster license
- Individuals who hold a bail bond licens
- Individuals who hold a mortgage guarantee license
- Individuals who hold a viatical settlement license
- Individuals currently on active military duty
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The licensee certifies compliance with CE at time of online license renewal and retains certificates of completion for renewal period. Licensee must submit CE filing fee with license renewal fee.
- Exempt. Certify completion of CE in home state on the online license renewal.
- Nonresidents are NOT exempt from the LTC requirement
For Additional Information please Contact:
New York State Insurance Department
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
PHONE: (518) 474-6630 or (518) 486-7296
FAX: (518) 474-5048
State Website: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/dfs_insurance.htm
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
CE Subscriptions Upon purchase, the student will have access to all of the courses on the course list tab. You can click "Go to My Courses" on the left navigation bar or go to www.kruisetesting.com and enter the same user name (email address) and password you used to purchase your subscription to open your account. All courses will be available for download, and all exams will be available to the student for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Just scroll down to the name of the course you wish to take, and there will be links to open the study materials and to take the exam. Students may get credit for each course once during the duration of the subscription. The cost of the subscription covers the online book/presentation, the exam & grading, the certificate of completion, and reporting (where required by law). The only additional charges that may be assessed are:
This subscription applies only to the agent who purchases it, and cannot be transferred to or used by any other agent.
Please review the course list carefully to be sure the courses you need are included. There are no refunds once this subscription is purchased!
If you wish to have printed materials shipped, the cost per book is $10 + shipping & handling per book.
Monitor Instructions - New York
You can download your fillable monitor form by clicking here. The following, after being approved by the Department, may monitor self study examinations: To find a New York State approved monitor click here.
- Provider Organizations
- Affiliate Organizations
- Licensed and admitted insurers (Training Officers and disinterested supervisory personnel not affiliated by overrides or other compensation arrangements)
- Licensed colleges, Universities, schools
- Professional Societies and Professional Organizations (named designated person may arrange for other responsible members to monitor examinations, the designated person countersigning. The examination document submitted to the Provider organization)
- Continuing Education and Prelicensing Education Instructors
- Licensed teachers
- Others satisfactory to the Superintendent
A Provider Organization accepting a Self Study Examination from a monitor must satisfy itself that the monitor has been approved by the Department by obtaining a copy of a Monitor Approval Document or any Approval Documents for the above issued by the Department. The responsibilities of an approved monitor shall include assuring that the examination is administered in accordance with the Course Approval issued by the Department, that only approved manuals or schedules necessary for completion of the examination are used and that the examination is forwarded with the appropriate documents to the Provider Organization for scoring.
Applications for Department approval of Self Study Examination Monitors may be obtained from:
New York State Insurance Department Licensing Bureau Continuing Education Program Empire State Plaza Agency Building 1