Michigan State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
24 hours biennially, 3 of which MUST be Ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- 21 hours can be completed for ANY line held.
- 3 hours MUST be certified Ethics.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.
- Agents selling, soliciting, or negotiating long-term care insurance must complete an initial 8 hour course on Long Term Care insurance and 4 hours on Long Term Care every two years thereafter.
- All Michigan licensed producers authorized to sell flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Biennial compliance date is determined by your month and date of birth at least 12 months after the issuance of your initial license. The first scheduled review date must permit a producer at least 12 months before the first CE review date. See the samples below.
Date of Initial License
Date of Birth
1st CE Review date
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party. (i.e. not the student's relative, or business associate)
Excess CE credit hours may not be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in each reporting period.
- Individuals licensed only for one or more of the following lines: Credit Products, Limited Life, Turkey, Crop & Hail, Travel, Accident and/or Baggage, Title, and/or Credit Products.
- Individuals who apply for and receive a hardship waiver for terminal illness of self or of immediate family member who requires an ordinate amount of care by licensee or military duty.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports earned credits to the CE administrator within one day of course completion. Producer keeps the original certificates of completion in their files. If there is ever a dispute concerning earned credits, the producer must correct the problem directly with the education provider who in turn will correct it with the CE administrator.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in Michigan and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
Exempt if producer meets home state CE requirement. If producer does not meet home state CE requirement, producer must comply with Michigan's CE requirement.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Office of Insurance Licensing & Market Conduct
530 W. Allegan St. 7th Floor
Lansing, MI 48933
Toll Free: 877-999-6442
State Website: www.michigan.gov/difs
To check the status of your CE credits for your state:
*You will need to provide your name and/or the last 4 digits of your SSN.*
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
Monitor Instructions - General
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!