Massachusetts State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Producer: 60 hours during the first 3 years of licensure; 45 hours every 3 years thereafter.
- Adjuster: 15 hours triennially.
- All property and casualty producers who sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour flood insurance course.
Course Subject Requirements
At least one credit hour should be completed in a course approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Triennially on renewal date. (Same as license issuance date.) License renewal date is date of issuance, triennially.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
A maximum of 45 excess hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a three year period.
Self-study final exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- Individuals licensed in Massachusetts prior to 4/5/83, except for those persons who, although licensed prior to 4/5/83, amended their licenses after that date by passing an insurance exam for an additional line of insurance, and those persons who were unlicensed for more than a year immediately prior to 4/5/83.
- Individuals who are auto club agents, travel accident & baggage agents, licensed insurance advisors and/or fraternal agents.
- The licensee holds one of the following limited lines authorities: travel, accident & baggage insurance, or credit insurance.
- The licensee holds a viatical brokers/representative license.
- The licensee holds a reinsurance intermediary brokers/managers license.
- The licensee holds a surplus lines brokers license.
- The licensee holds an advisors license.
- The licensee is a nonresident licensee in a state with reciprocity with Massachusetts.
- The licensee is on active military duty.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be e-mailed to you once your exam is completed. Course provider reports credits earned to CE administrator within one business day of course completion. CE administrator maintains current list of producer credits. Producers maintain copies of the certificates of completion fro future auditing by the Division of Insurance.
Exempt, if licensee meets CE requirement for home or any state where an active license is held.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Massachusetts Insurance Division
One South Station
Boston, MA 02210-2208
Mailing Address: Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Division of Insurance
1000 Washington Street, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02118-6200
Phone: (617) 521-7794 opt 2 -OR- (800) 742-8731
Fax: (617) 521-7556
State Website: www.mass.gov/doi
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!
Monitor Instructions - General
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).