Louisiana State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
24 CE hours including 3 hours of ethics are required each license term.
- Life; Accident and Health; Property, Casualty, Personal Lines, or Adjusters: 24 hours biennially
- Property; Casualty; or Property and Casualty: 24 hours biennially
- Bail Bonds: 12 hours biennially in courses specific to bail bonds
- Producers licensed for property, casualty and/or personal lines complete a one-time 3 hour course on flood insurance.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Course Subject Requirements
- Course subjects must be for lines of insurance in which license is held.
- Up to 50% of the required CE hours may be obtained through self-study.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
12/31 prior to license renewal or the date shown on the renewal form
License Renewal Date
- 5/1 of even numbered years for LH agents
- 5/1 of odd numbered years for PC agents
- 5/1 of odd numbered years for brokers and solicitors
- 5/1 of odd numbered years for adjusters
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses or classroom (one-half of the total requirement may be satisfied through self-study).
LH and PC may carry over up to 10 excess hours to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be repeated in the same reporting period.
Self-study final exams are not required to be monitored.
- Nonresident Producers are not required to complete CE courses.
- Newly licensed agents are exempt for the 1st reporting period
- Individuals with a limited line license for which an exam is not required.
- Individuals who are licensed for industrial fire insurance only
- Individuals holding a limited license for one of the following lines: title , fidelity and surety, baggage, credit property, service or burial, travel health and accident, and industrial life, health and accident
- A licensee who is 65 years of age on or before January 1, 2012 (producers who reach age 65 after January 1, 2012, will not qualify for the exemption), and had at least 15 years experience as a licensed agent, broker or solicitor and is either:
- No longer active as an agent, broker or solicitor and is receiving Social Security benefits.
- Is an active agent who represents or operates through a licensed Louisiana insurer
- Nonresident agents may be exempt if licensee meets home state CE requirement.
- A licensed producer or adjuster, who is prevented from meeting the CE requirements for renewal due to military service, or due to a medical condition or injury, may request a waiver of those requirements and renewal of the license. The licensee must contact the state to submit this request.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion after completing your exam. The course provider keeps reports of credits earned in its files. Course provider will submit proof of course completion to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. The licensee submits copies of the certificates of completion to the insurance department at license renewal. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files for 2 years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Louisiana Commissioner of Insurance
P.O. Box 94214
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9214
PHONE: (225) 342-0860
FAX: (225) 342-3754
State Website: http://www.ldi.louisiana.gov/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
CE Subscriptions Upon purchase, the student will have access to all of the courses on the course list tab. You can click "Go to My Courses" on the left navigation bar or go to www.kruisetesting.com and enter the same user name (email address) and password you used to purchase your subscription to open your account. All courses will be available for download, and all exams will be available to the student for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Just scroll down to the name of the course you wish to take, and there will be links to open the study materials and to take the exam. Students may get credit for each course once during the duration of the subscription. The cost of the subscription covers the online book/presentation, the exam & grading, the certificate of completion, and reporting (where required by law). The only additional charges that may be assessed are:
This subscription applies only to the agent who purchases it, and cannot be transferred to or used by any other agent.
Please review the course list carefully to be sure the courses you need are included. There are no refunds once this subscription is purchased!
If you wish to have printed materials shipped, the cost per book is $10 + shipping & handling per book.