Illinois State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours are required every two years to renew a license.
Course Subject Requirements
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- All Illinois licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3-hour requirement on flood insurance.
- 3 hours of ethics credit in IL must be done in classroom.
- All life agents who hold a Viatical Settlement Broker license must complete a 4-hour course in viatical settlements every renewal period.
- All annuity producers must complete a one-time 4-hour annuity training course.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Same as license renewal date every two years. However, it is recommended that CE be completed 8 weeks earlier so that the CE provider has time to report compliance.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and classroom study.
Final exams are not required to be monitored.
A maximum of 12 credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Credit will not be give for a course that is repeated within a 3 year period.
- Individuals with a temporary license.
- Individuals with any of the following limited licenses: baggage, limited travel health, trip cancellation, industrial life or industrial health; and insurance issued by a local mutual district, county, or township insurance company.
- Nonresident producers who meet their resident states' CE requirements
Method To Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the insurance department within one business day of the course completion. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files for 5 years.
Exempt. Nonresidents who wish to sell LTC are not exempt from the LTC education requirement.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Illinois Department of Insurance
Producer Licensing Unit
320 W. Washington St.
Springfield, IL 62767
Phone: (217) 782-6366 -OR- (217) 782-1019
Fax: (217) 782-6367
State Website: http://insurance.illinois.gov/
To Check the Status of Your CE Credits
*You will need to provide your name and SSN.*
- 1. Go to: http://insurance.illinois.gov/
- 2. Click the, "Producers" button on the left,
- 3. Click "Producer Licensing Record" under the heading, "Illinois Licensed Insurance Producer Database".
- 4. Click "Continue".
- 5. Input your SSN (including the dashes).
- 6. Input your name (last name first name mi).
- 7. Click "Search".
- 8. If the search yields results, you will be asked to input the "Index Number: of the appropriate record in the "Selection" field.
- 9. After inputting the proper index number, click, "View Detail".
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.