Hawaii State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Life/Accident and Health/Sickness: 20 hours biennially - Must include 3 hours relating to insurance laws and rules.
- For licenses renewing after Aug 16, 2012: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours relating to insurance law or ethics.
- Property/Casualty: 20 hours biennially - Must include 3 hours relating to insurance laws and rules.
- For licenses renewing after Aug 16, 2012: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of law or ethics.
- Multiple Lines Life/Accident or Health/Sickness, AND Property/Casualty): 30 hours biennially (12 in L/H-10 subject and 2 laws and 18 in P/C-16 subject and 2 laws).
- For licenses renewing after Aug 16, 2012: 24 hours biennially, including 10 hours in L/H or sickness, 11 hours in P/C and 3 hours in law or ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be in line of license held. Multi-line producers must complete 10 hours in L/H and A/S; 11 hours in P/C, and 3 hours of law or ethics.
- Producers licensed to sell insurance in only one line of authority must have 3 hours relating to insurance laws and rules as part of the 20 hour CE requirement.
- Producers licensed to sell insurance in multiple lines of authority (Life/Accident or Health/Sickness, and Property/Casualty) must have 4 hours relating to insurance laws and rules in both P/C and L/H as part of the 30 hour CE requirement (12 hours in L/H including 10 L/H hours and 2 L/H law hours and 18 hours in P/C including 16 P/C hours and 2 P/C law hours).
- All Hawaii licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Effective January 1, 2012: All nonresident annuity producers must complete a one-time 4-hour annuity training course before selling in HI.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Producers' licenses renew on the 16th day of their birth month. Even months renew in even years, odd months renew in odd years.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses, classroom study, and insurance company sponsored courses.
Excess CE credit hours may NOT be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a reporting period.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- A licensee who has been licensed for less than two years at the time of the licensee's first renewal.
- Nonresident agents are exempt if the home state has a reciprocal agreement with Hawaii.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you after you complete an exam. The provider submits credits earned to the insurance division and maintains attendance records for 5 years. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for 4 years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Hawaii Insurance Division
PO Box 3614
Honolulu, HI 96811-3614
PHONE: (808) 586-2788
FAX: (808) 586-2806
State Website: http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins/
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
Monitor Instructions - General
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).