District of Columbia Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
Course Subject Requirements
- 24 hours every two years; 3 of which MUST be ethics.
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- A minimum of 6 hours must be taken for each line when licensed for both L/H and P/C.
- 3 hours must be in ethics.
- Effective June 24, 2011, all annuity producers must complete a one-time 4-hour annuity training course.
- All property and casualty producers must complete a one-time 3-hour flood t raining course.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
The license renewal date is the last day of the licensee birth month, biennially.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses, classroom, and full certification credit for passing a recognized national insurance exam. Courses necessary to obtain nationally recognized designations count as 16 credit hours upon successful completion of the national exam for each part.
No more than 50% of the total requirement per reporting period may be met using insurance company sponsored courses.
Final exam must be monitored by a disinterested 3rd party (i.e. someone with no financial dependence on the student).
Carryover of credit hours is NOT allowed.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in each biennial reporting period.
- Nonresident Producers are not required to complete CE courses.
- Newly licensed producers seeking the first renewal of their license.
- Producers licensed during the second year of the Biennium preceding the date the license expires.
- Producers age 65 or older, continuously licensed for 25 years who hold a professional designation or are the major stockholder of a corporation or a partner who neither solicits or participates in the day to day operations.
Method To Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once you have completed your exam. Course provider will issue the producer a certificate of completion. The provider will submit an attendance roster to the CE administrator within one business day of your exam completion. Licensee should maintain certificates in his or her files.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in the District of Columbia and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Department of Insurance and Securities Regulation for District of Columbia
810 First Street, N.E. Suite 701
Washington, D.C. 20002
Phone: 202-727-8000 -OR- (800) 274-2664
Fax: (202) 535-1197
Web site: www.disb.dc.gov
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 9 download here or Internet explorer 8 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
Monitor Instructions - General
Your state requires that your exam(s) MUST be monitored. The qualifications of the person who must monitor your exam are explained on the monitor form. The person monitoring your exam must be with you prior to beginning to take the exam. Taking the exam without your monitor present will invalidate your exam results and certificate.
The monitor must print, sign and complete the affidavit found by clicking Printable Monitor Form to indicate that the exam was taken without any outside help from any source. Please fax the completed monitor form to: (619) 421-8171 immediately after completing the exam. Your exam will not be completed, and no CE credit will be awarded or reported to your state, until the properly completed, signed monitor form has been received (along with any state reporting fees that may be due).