This course will teach agents to fully understand the issues related to anti-money laundering as set forth in the USA Patriot Act.This course is intended to provide agents and brokers with knowledge of money laundering and terrorist financing and the ways in which the insurance industry might be used to engage in such activities. In addition, it provides an in-depth look at the requirements imposed by the Treasury Department regulations, as well as the means by which brokers and agents may be integrated into insurers’ AML programs.
New York State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
Agent and Public Adjuster
- Fifteen (15) CE credit hours are required biennially for a single license.
- Thirty (30) CE credit hours are required biennially for combined L/H and P/C.
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- LH/PC-combined licensees must complete the full CE requirement in courses approved for LH and the full CE requirement for PC. Courses that are approved for both P/C and L/H ("bridge courses") may be simultaneously applied to the L/H requirement & the P/C requirement, if taken within the biennial licensing period.
- All New York licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
- The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years. A newly issued or transitioned license will be between 24 and 48 months in duration.
- The license term for public adjusters ends on 12/31 of even years.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses (with monitored final exams, including internet and computer based courses), Classroom, Speeches/seminars
Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a state approved individual or organization.
- Individuals who have a limited line license for which an exam is not required in New York.
- Newly licensed individuals who have held their license for less than a full 2-year period.
- Individuals on active military duty.
- Individuals who hold an independent adjuster license
- Individuals who hold a bail bond licens
- Individuals who hold a mortgage guarantee license
- Individuals who hold a viatical settlement license
- Individuals currently on active military duty
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The licensee certifies compliance with CE at time of online license renewal and retains certificates of completion for renewal period. Licensee must submit CE filing fee with license renewal fee.
- Exempt. Certify completion of CE in home state on the online license renewal.
- Nonresidents are NOT exempt from the LTC requirement
For Additional Information please Contact:
New York State Insurance Department
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
PHONE: (518) 474-6630 or (518) 486-7296
FAX: (518) 474-5048
State Website: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/dfs_insurance.htm
System Requirements: Please note that Mozilla firefox 20 download here or Internet explorer 9 or higher: Download here This course automatically includes a downloadable textbook and/or other course materials which you may print if you desire. When you are finished studying your course, the exam is taken online and it is graded immediately. In most states you can also print your own certificate of completion, if you pass. There is no additional charge if you complete your course and exam completely online.
are required to view our website when you wish to access the learning center. You should also note that taking courses over a wireless internet connection is not advised. When taking your exams you should try to be on a wired internet connection to your computer.
If you prefer, however, you may purchase a printed book and/or printed exam at additional cost.
You have 3 options if purchasing the course outside a subscription:
- Online book and online exam - included in price - You receive no printed materials-everything is online.
- Printed book and online exam - $5 additional - You receive a printed book but take your exam online.
- Printed book and printed exam - $10 additional - You receive a printed book and printed exam which you mail or fax to us for grading.
For options 2 and 3, you will be able to choose either regular or express shipping during checkout.
Please choose your option carefully! There is no refund for printed materials or exams ordered by mistake!
If your state requires monitored exams, you must have your monitor sign-in and follow the monitor instructions BEFORE you begin the exam. See the State Information tab, Monitor tab and Help Center for more information.
How to Redeem Vouchers If you have received a CE voucher from an insurance company or wholesaler, you can redeem it by following these instructions.
- Choose your course format - see "course format" tab for more details or click "learn more" above options.
- Click on the red "buy" button to proceed to checkout.
- Be sure to enter your Voucher Code when checking out to apply your discount.
- You will be able to download the study materials immediately by clicking the red "Download Course" on your receipt. It will also be emailed to you and will be available for one year in your customer account.
- You will also be provided with a link and information to access the exam.
Your voucher covers an online book, online exam, grading and one CE certificate for insurance. It DOES NOT INCLUDE printed books, printed exams, state fees or CE certificate(s) or reporting for additional designations or types of CE, although they are available as options for additional charge.
If you choose printed books or exams, you will be charged the balance due during checkout.
If your state charges a fee to report your credit, this fee is due from you. When you check-out, you must pay this fee in order to access the course and obtain CE credit.
After you pass your exam, you will be able to purchase CE certificates for professional designations such as CFP, CPE, etc. you will be charged $10 for each one. Please DO NOT order these additional certificates unless you currently hold that professional designation. There are NO REFUNDS for additional certificates ordered and not needed.
Monitor Instructions - New York
You can download your fillable monitor form by clicking here. The following, after being approved by the Department, may monitor self study examinations: To find a New York State approved monitor click here.
- Provider Organizations
- Affiliate Organizations
- Licensed and admitted insurers (Training Officers and disinterested supervisory personnel not affiliated by overrides or other compensation arrangements)
- Licensed colleges, Universities, schools
- Professional Societies and Professional Organizations (named designated person may arrange for other responsible members to monitor examinations, the designated person countersigning. The examination document submitted to the Provider organization)
- Continuing Education and Prelicensing Education Instructors
- Licensed teachers
- Others satisfactory to the Superintendent
A Provider Organization accepting a Self Study Examination from a monitor must satisfy itself that the monitor has been approved by the Department by obtaining a copy of a Monitor Approval Document or any Approval Documents for the above issued by the Department. The responsibilities of an approved monitor shall include assuring that the examination is administered in accordance with the Course Approval issued by the Department, that only approved manuals or schedules necessary for completion of the examination are used and that the examination is forwarded with the appropriate documents to the Provider Organization for scoring.
Applications for Department approval of Self Study Examination Monitors may be obtained from:
New York State Insurance Department Licensing Bureau Continuing Education Program Empire State Plaza Agency Building 1
Optional PACE or CFP Credit
Many of our Insurance CE courses are also approved for CE credit for agents who hold professional designations such as CLU, ChFC, CFP. The type of CE credit and number of hours approved are listed above in the course description.If you hold a professional designation you may request a certificate for courses taken and exams passed for insurance CE credit. If you pass and exam and would like to get additional credit for one of these designations, please use the link to the left: "CFP & PACE Credit".
If you do not hold a professional designation and do not need any type of CE other than for your insurance license renewal, please do not order a PACE or CFP certificate. It will not benefit you and once ordered, there are no refunds!
There are no refunds for certificates ordered by mistake!