Colorado State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours are required every two years.
Course Subject Requirements
- At least 18 of the required 24 CE hours required must cover the lines of insurance for which the producer is licensed. Personal Lines agents may complete P/C approved courses to meet their CE requirement.
- At least 3 of the total required hours must be in Ethics.
- There is a 16 hour LTC initial education requirement for producers who wish to sell LTC products. The first 8 hours may be taken in class or self study, but the last 8 hours MUST be taken in class. For continuing education after completing the initial 16-hour training, producers must complete 5 hours of continuing education in a classroom setting every 2 years.
- All Colorado producers who sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood insurance Program (NFIP) training.
- All Colorado resident producers engaged in the sale, consultation, or adjustment of claims-made policies must complete a one-time 2-hour state approved course on claims-made policies.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.
- *Effective January 1, 2014: All Colorado producers licensed to sell property or personal lines insurance must complete three (3) hours of continuing education on homeowner's (HO) insurance coverage each license term. (Go to the course catalog to order WebCE’s Colorado Homeowners Insurance by IRMI or Colorado Homeowners Insurance Valuation course, which fulfills this requirement.)
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Renewal (continuation) date is the last day of your birth every two years thereafter.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom courses.
12 excess CE credits earned during the 120 days prior to the compliance date may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a two year period, with the exception of statutory update courses.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (neither an immediate supervisor or an employee of the student).
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the first compliance period.
- Any person licensed only for one or more of the following: Professional Bail Bondsperson, Title, Limited Lines Credit, Crop Hail, Health Maintenance Organization, Limited Insurance Representative/Travel Ticket and Nonprofit Hospital Surgical Medical.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you after you have completed your exam. The course provider will report credits earned to the CE Administrator within one business day of exam completion. The producer must keep certificates of completion in his or her files for at least five years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Colorado Division of Insurance
Producer's Licensing Unit
1560 Broadway, Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 733-9395 or 303-894-7499
FAX: (303) 894-7455 or 303-894-7455
State Website: http://www.dora.state.co.us/Insurance/
To Check the Status of Your CE Credits
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- 1. Go to http://www.sircon.com/
- 2. Click, "For Producers/Agents"
- 3. Click, "Obtain Education Information"
- 4. Click, "Education Transcript Inquiry"
- 5. Input your SSN, choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your License number.
- 6. Click, "Submit".