Alabama State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours every two year renewal period.
- Producers or service representatives who do not do outside sales, and who do not hold a nonresident license in any other state, must complete 12 CE hours, including 1.5 hours in ethics, are required every 2-year license term.
Course Subject Requirements
- 3 hours must be in ethics.
- All Alabama licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Producers renewal date is the last day of the birth month every two years. Producers with an even numbered date of birth renew every even numbered year; Producers with an odd numbered date of birth renew every odd numbered year.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and classroom study/seminar.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (i.e., someone with no financial dependency on the student). Monitor must be someone not needing a license.
A producer may carry over up to 24 excess CE hours into the next license term. Excess ethics hours may carry over as ethics credits in the next license term. No more than 3 hours of ethics may be carried over as ethics.
- Nonresident Producers are not required to complete continuing education courses.
- Individuals who are at least 60 years of age and have been licensed continuously in Alabama for at least 15 years.
- Individuals who are CLUs, CPCUs, CICs, ChFCs, CFPs, RHUs, REBCs, CHCs or ARMs.
- Individuals licensed only for lines of insurance for which a license exam is not required.
- Individuals licensed only for automobile physical damage insurance, industrial fire (debit fire) insurance and/or physical damage coverage on household goods, or producers licensed only for lines of insurance for which an examination is not required.
- Insurance company officers who are not engaged in the active sale of products.
- Individuals licensed less than one year at the time of the first CE compliance date are exempt for that first reporting period.
- Temporary license holders pending passage of the written examination for that line of insurance.
- Alabama adjusters.
- Active members of the Alabama legislature during any portion of the compliance period.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be e-mailed to you within one business day of exam completion. The course provider submits credits earned to the CE administrator within one business day. The course provider keeps reports of credits earned in its files for three years. The license attaches copies of certificates of completion to the license renewal form and keeps the originals in his/her files.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in Alabama and will be added ot the order total upon checkout.
License Renewal Process
Producer licenses may be renewed as early as two months before the licensee's birth month, and within a grace period of 30 days after the last day of their birth month with a late fee of $50 added to the regular renewal fee. If not renewed before the end of the grace period, the license will be expired.
Adjusters are allowed to renew their license online between October 1st and December 31st with a renewal fee of $80. If your license is not renewed before January 1st, the license will be expired.
For Additional Information, Please Contact
Alabama Department of Insurance
Producer's Licensing Division
201 Monroe St. Suite 1700
Montgomery, AL 36104
Alabama Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 303351
Montgomery, AL 36130-3351
Phone: (334) 241-4126 or (334) 269-3550
Fax: (334) 240-3282 or (334) 241-4192
State Website: http://www.aldoi.gov/