Tennessee State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Producers are required to complete 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
- Combination Multi-peril crop adjuster and L/H or P/C producers are required to take 48 hours, including 4 hours of ethics.
Core Subject Requirements
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- All Tennessee licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
License Renewal Date
Same as CE compliance date.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses or classroom
A maximum of 12 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period
Courses may not be repeated within 2 years from the original completion date.
Final exam does not need to be monitored.
- Individuals who are at least 65 years old
- Individuals who have been licensed continuously in Tennessee since January 1, 1994.
- Non resident agents if their state has CE requirements and has a reciprocal agreement with Tennessee
- Individuals on extended duty in the Armed Forces are exempt for the period of such duty.
- Limited Lines Licenses
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. Course provider reports credits earned to the CE Administrator (Promissor). Agent submits copies of certificates of completion to Insurance Department with Renewal Notice. Original certificates of completion are kept in agent's files for 2 years.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
Producer Licensing Section
500 James Robertson Parkway, 4th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: 1-888-416-0868 or (615) 741-2693
Fax: (615) 532-2862 Promissor
State Website: http://www.state.tn.us/commerce/