Wisconsin State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
- Life settlement brokers must complete an initial training course of 8 hours prior to applying for the license.
Course Subject Requirements
- All Wisconsin licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
- Agents wishing to sell annuities must also complete a one-time, 4 hour annuities course.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- Wisconsin Medicaid Training: Non-residents who have completed the initial LTC Partnership Training course in another state must take a 2-hour Medicaid Training course specific to Wisconsin.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
License renews on last day of licensee birth month even/odd years. Licenses issued in even years will renew in even years; licenses issued in odd years will renew in odd years.
License Renewal Date
License renewal date is the same date as compliance date.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Classroom study and independent self-study courses and online courses.
Courses may not be repeated within the same reporting period
Independent self-study and online final examinations are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- Individuals who have an exclusive limited line insurance license for credit, managing general agent, legal expense or title insurance.
- Individuals who become seriously ill or disabled or who serve on active military duty outside WI may request a waiver of the CE requirement for a specific reporting period.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE administrator (Sircon). The CE administrator (Sircon) will send a transcript to the agent at least 60 days prior to the compliance date. The agent keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for 4 years.
Exempt if agent completes home state CE requirement
For Additional Information please Contact:
Wisconsin Office of the Insurance Commissioner Agent Licensing Section
Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
125 S. Webster St.
Madison, WI 53703-3474
Phone: (608) 266-3585, Madison; (800) 236-8517, statewide
State Website: http://oci.wi.gov/oci_home.htm