West Virginia State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 CE credit hours biennially, 3 hours of which must be approved Ethics courses.
- Agents who sell only pre-need burial insurance contracts or who engage solely in telemarketing insurance products using a scripted presentation that has been filed with and approved by the insurance commissioner must complete six hours triennially.
- Agents who only sell limited lines must complete 6 hours, including 3 hours of ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- 3 hours must be in Ethics approved courses.
- All West Virginia licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
- An individual who attends a professional designation class, or takes a self-study course and passes the national exam will receive 24 CE credit hours.
- Agents wishing to sell annuities must also complete a one-time, 4 hour annuities course.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The CE compliance period begins July 1 and ends June 30 every 2 years on even numbered years. The current compliance period is July 1, 2010-June 30, 2012. All resident producers whose original license date is prior to July 1, 2011, must comply with continuing education by June 30, 2012. Resident producers whose original license date is on or after July 1, 2011, (start of the second year of the biennium) are exempt for that compliance period.
The renewal date is the last day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
Types of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study or Classroom study.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party (i.e. someone with no business or family relationship to the student).
Up to 6 CE credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a biennium.
- Individuals who are licensed only limited lines credit.
- A newly licensed individual who received their license on or after 7/1 of the second year of a biennium is exempt for the first reporting period.
- Individuals holding limited lines licenses for which an exam is not required.
- Individuals holding any limited or restricted license that the commissioner may declare exempt.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to Thomson Prometric. The agent keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files.
A roster fee of $1.50 per CE hour is required to process course completion hours in West Virginia and will be added to the order upon checkout.
For Additional Information please Contact:
West Virginia Insurance Department
Agents Licensing & Education
P.O. Box 50541
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: (304) 558-0610
Fax: (304) 558-4966
Thomson Prometric: (800) 805-9127
State Website: http://www.wvinsurance.gov/