Washington State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Producers: 24 hours biennially.
- Individuals licensed for vehicle authority will be required to comply with continuing education requirements beginning with renewals.
Course Subject Requirements
- No more than 8 CE credit hours can be completed in a 24 hour period.
- Agents must complete 3 hours of ethics education.
- Agents can take courses from any license type to complete their CE, however, the OIC suggests that licensees take courses covering the lines of insurance they are involved with most often.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- Agents wishing to sell flood insurance must also complete a one-time, 3 hour flood course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.
- Effective March 29, 2012: all agents wishing to sell annuities must also complete a one-time, 4 hour annuities course by September 29, 2012.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Same as license renewal date.
License Renewal Date
License renewal date is the licensee's date of birth, biennially.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom.
Carryover of excess CE credit hours is not allowed.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a three year period.
Final exams are not required to be monitored.
- Nonresidents (unless they sell long-term care).
- Individuals who are at least 65 years of age, are retired from active selling of insurance products and no longer represent any insurer or insurance agency.
- Any person who believes that good cause exists may request a waiver of the CE requirement.
- Resident adjusters and producers holding only limited credit insurance, travel insurance, or surety licenses are exempt from CE requirements.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider will submit credits earned to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for three years. LTC credits: the insurer certifies to the Commissioner that its appointees are in compliance with the requirement.
Exempt, except for long-term care requirement.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Office of Ins. Commissioner
P.O. Box 40257
Olympia, WA 98504-0257
Phone: (360) 725-7146 or (360) 725-7144
Fax: (360) 586-2019
or Promissor - (800) 274-8949
State Website: http://www.insurance.wa.gov/