South Carolina State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
- Multi line (property and casualty and life, accident and health) producers must complete 24 hours, including 8 hours in each line of authority and 3 hours of ethics.
- Producers with reduced compliance requirements (15 hours) must complete 12 hours in the line of authority held including 3 hours of ethics. Multi-line producers with reduced compliance requirements (15 hours) must complete 6 hours in each line of authority and 3 hours of ethics.
- All producers born in even years, that were licensed prior to January 1, 2010, will be required to obtain 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2 year license term thereafter (see license term below). South Carolina has course category restrictions.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, including distance learning, intranet, Internet, CD Rom, and any other means of electronic information communication; or classroom study.
A maximum of 18 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken more than once in a 2 year period.
Final exam for self-study must be monitored by a state-approved proctor.
- A licensee holding a limited license to sell only credit life, credit health insurance, bail bonds and travel accident and baggage insurance;
- A licensee outside the United States or its territories;
- A licensee who is a resident attorney licensed to practice law in the state;
- A licensee who is an employee of a trade association holding a limited license to sell only surety bonds to its association members;
- A licensee who has reached the age of 65 prior to July 1, 2006 and has been licensed for at least 10 years or who have reached 65 after July 1, 2006 and have been licensed for at least 10 years and who no longer sell, solicit or negotiate insurance.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE administrator (Thomson Prometric). The producer keeps original certificates of completion in their files. The CE administrator sends a company report to the sponsoring insurance company, listing the agents who have met the CE requirement. The CE administrator will bill the agent for the annual CE record keeping fee.
All producers licensed in South Carolina as of June 2, 2009 are required to renew their producer license and pay a $25 license renewal fee by the last day of their birth month.
The $25 license renewal fee is payable as a part of the online producer license renewal process. Producers receiving a CE exemption are still required to renew their license and pay the $25 license renewal fee by the last day of their birth month.
**For licensees renewing in 2011, the license renewal fee is $12.50.
Exempt if agent meets home state CE requirement. CE Administrator will verify home state compliance on the PDB.
For Additional Information please Contact:
South Carolina Insurance Department
Licensing & Education Division
1201 Main St., Suite 1000
Columbia, SC 29201
P.O. Box 100105
Columbia, SC 29202-3105
Phone: (803) 737-6095 or 803-737-6223
State Website: http://www.doi.sc.gov/