Oregon State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- All producers must complete 24 hours including 3 hours of ethics and 3 hours of Oregon law.
- Individuals who hold a CLU or CPCU designation must complete 24 hours biennially.
- Individuals who were exempt from the license exam due to having sufficient work experience or completing course work to obtain an industry-recognized designation may count the experience or course work as equivalent to having held the agent license for three years, and will have their CE requirement altered accordingly (contact the insurance department for details).
- Individuals who were previously licensed as an agent in Oregon or in another state will have an altered CE requirement, based on the number of years previously licensed (contact the insurance department for details).
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be approved for the lines of insurance for which the agent is licensed.
- Agent must complete three hours of Oregon law and two hours of ethics as part of the basic requirement.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- Agents wishing to sell flood insurance must also complete a one-time, 3 hour flood course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The compliance date is the license renewal date.
License Renewal Date
The license renewal date is the last day of the producer's birth month, biennially.
Types of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and classroom study.
- Online Interactive self study courses DO NOT require a monitor.
- Paper-based courses and course exams MUST be monitored by a state-registered proctor OR a third party who is a librarian, clergyman, state or community college representative, certified public accountant (CPA) or attorney.
No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a renewal period.
- Non-residents are exempt.
- Individuals holding limited lines licenses for which an exam is not required.
- Individuals who are retired, at least 58 years of age, have been licensed for at least 10 years, authorized to transact life insurance only and will be servicing existing policies only. This exemption requires department approval.
Method to Certify Completion
Sandi Kruise Insurance Training reports course completion information directly to the Insurance Division through the SBS tool Online Continuing Education (OCE) Students/Agents no longer need to self-report.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services
350 Winter St. NE, Room 440
Salem, OR 97301-3883
P.O. Box 14480
Salem, OR 97309-0405
PHONE: (503) 947-7981 or (503) 947-7248
FAX: (503) 378-4351
State Website: http://www.oregoninsurance.org/