Ohio State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
- Surety Bail Bond: 7 hours biennially, 6 of which must be approved as surety bail bond specific and 1 of which must be approved as ethics specific.
Course Subject Requirements
- P&C producers who sell flood insurance are reminded to comply with a one-time, 3 hour training class on flood insurance and the NFIP.
- Title agents must take courses related to title insurance business.
- Surety Bail Bond agents may only take courses in Surety Bail Bond approved material.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
- Effective July 1, 2011: All annuity producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time 4 hour annuity training course.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
For producers with a previous CE compliance period due date of December 31, 2010 click here.
For producers with a current compliance period due date of December 31, 2011 click here.
For producers newly licensed on or after January 1, 2010 click here.
License Renewal Date
Same as continuing education compliance date.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, interactive online, classroom, or an individual may receive up to 10 CE credit hours for having insurance-related articles and/or books published (submit a written request for credit along with a proof of publication).
Courses may not be repeated more than once in a reporting period.
Final Exams for self-study exams do not need to be monitored.
- Individuals who are granted inactive status.
- Nonresident agents are exempt.
- Nonresident licensees who completed a NAIC LTC training course in another state are exempt from taking the special training requirement in Ohio.
- Licensees with a limited authority license.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be emailed to you once we receive your affidavit and report you for the course. The course provider reports credit earned and submits CE filing fee to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. The CE Administrator sends a transcript of credits to the licensee. The licensee keeps the certificates of completion and transcripts in files for four years. Copies and Fax transmissions of the reporting form will not be accepted by the insurance department.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Ohio Department of Insurance
2100 Stella Court
Columbus, OH 43215-1067
50 W. Town St.
Third Floor - Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: (614)644-2665 or (800) 532-2170
State Website: http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/
To check the status of your CE credits for your state:
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- 1. Go to http://www.sircon.com/
- 2. Click, "For Producers/Agents"
- 3. Click, "Obtain Education Information"
- 4. Click, "Education Transcript Inquiry"
- 5. Input your SSN, choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your License number
- 6. Click, "Submit".