New York State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
Agent and Public Adjuster
- Fifteen (15) CE credit hours are required biennially for a single license.
- Thirty (30) CE credit hours are required biennially for combined L/H and P/C.
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- LH/PC-combined licensees must complete the full CE requirement in courses approved for LH and the full CE requirement for PC. Courses that are approved for both P/C and L/H ("bridge courses") may be simultaneously applied to the L/H requirement & the P/C requirement, if taken within the biennial licensing period.
- All New York licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
- The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years. A newly issued or transitioned license will be between 24 and 48 months in duration.
- The license term for public adjusters ends on 12/31 of even years.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses (with monitored final exams, including internet and computer based courses), Classroom, Speeches/seminars
Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a reporting period.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a state approved individual or organization.
- Individuals who have a limited line license for which an exam is not required in New York.
- Newly licensed individuals who have held their license for less than a full 2-year period.
- Individuals on active military duty.
- Individuals who hold an independent adjuster license
- Individuals who hold a bail bond licens
- Individuals who hold a mortgage guarantee license
- Individuals who hold a viatical settlement license
- Individuals currently on active military duty
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The licensee certifies compliance with CE at time of online license renewal and retains certificates of completion for renewal period. Licensee must submit CE filing fee with license renewal fee.
- Exempt. Certify completion of CE in home state on the online license renewal.
- Nonresidents are NOT exempt from the LTC requirement
For Additional Information please Contact:
New York State Insurance Department
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
PHONE: (518) 474-6630 or (518) 486-7296
FAX: (518) 474-5048
State Website: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/dfs_insurance.htm