New Jersey State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
- Producers finishing a 4-year license will need to have completed 48 CE hours in order to renew the license. 6 hours of the required 48 CE hours must be in fraud/ethics. A 2-year license will be issued at renewal.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a
one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours
- All Public Adjusters must fulfill 15 CE hours every 2 year license term.
Course Subject Requirements
- Any course approved for CE in NJ may be taken for credit.
- 3 hours must be taken in Ethics.
- Property producers selling flood must also complete a 3 hour training class on flood insurance and the NFIP.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
License Renewal Date
- Licenses will renew on the last day of the producers birth month every other year. Initial licenses and licenses transitioned to the new renewal periods will expire at the end of the birth month in the year that will result in a license term at least 18 months in duration.
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Self-study, Classroom study, or online courses.
Carryover of excess CE credit hours is NOT allowed.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a license term. This rule applies to any variation of course types (self-study, classroom equivalent, etc).
Online classroom equivalent courses do not require a monitor. Online or paper-based Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party. Monitors must be preapproved by us prior to completing an exam.
- Nonresident licensees in good standing with their home states are exempt from New Jersey CE requirements.
- Nonresident licensees who completed a NAIC LTC training course in another state are exempt from taking the special training requirement in New Jersey.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE Administrator (Promissor) within 30 days of course completion. The producer keeps the original certificates of completion in their files.
For Additional Information please Contact:
New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance
PO Box 325
Trenton, NJ 08625
Phone:(609) 633-0818 ext 50552 or (609) 292-4337
Fax: (609) 292-5263
State Website: www.nj.gov/dobi/inslic.htm
To check the status of your CE credits for your state:
*You will need to provide your SSN and your Name or NJ License Number*
Go to http://www.promissor.com/
- 1. Under, "Find Other Services" click, "Continuing Education Tracking Services"
- 2. Select, "New Jersey Insurance" from the pull-down menu
- 3. Scroll down to the CE-Licensee services heading and click, "Licensee Course Transcript"
- 4. Input your SSN (NO DASHES) and your NJ License number or the first 5 letters of your last name. (If last name is less than 5 letters, input full last name)
- 5. Click, "Submit"