Nebraska State Requirements
Last Updated: 03/06/2012
Continuing Education Hours
- Life and Health: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Variable Contracts: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Property and Casualty: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Combined LH/PC: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Personal Lines P&C: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Consultants (Public Adjusters:) 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Title: 6 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics
- Crop only or Fidelity and Surety only: 6 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics (Note: If the licensee is licensed in any other line of insurance that requires CE credit hours, the credit hours required for Crop insurance and Fidelity and Surety insurance is 6 credit hours for each line.)
- Remainder of limited lines (that are not exempt): 6 hours biennially
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- Maximum hours to be reported in any 2-year period are 24 hours for producers and consultants.
- All Nebraska resident insurance producers licensed in property/casualty lines of authority that may sell a flood insurance policy must complete a one-time course related to NFIP which will provide at least 3 of continuing education credit. These three hours are not required in addition to the normal 24 hours.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
License Renewal after license is held for 2 years and biennially thereafter. Insurance department requests renewal filing 45 days prior to license renewal.
License Renewal Date
Insurance department requests renewal filing 45 days prior to license renewal. The renewal date is the last day of birth month, biennially. Producers born in even years renew in even years; born in odd years renew in odd years.
Types of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
Exams to be Monitored by a Disinterested Third Party. The monitor can be any impartial person who is not concerned with the result of the examination or the success of the student. The monitor cannot be related (by family) to the student. (Examples are: Teachers, Librarians, Church Leaders, Neighbors, etc.)
Excess CE credit hours may not be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses (including courses approved to meet the ethics requirement) may not be taken for credit more than once in a four-year period.
- Individuals who hold a limited-lines license for credit life/credit accident and health, auto mechanical breakdown, prepaid legal, motor club, prepaid dental, health maintenance organization or unemployment credit insurance.
- Non residents are exempt.
Method to Certify Completion
The certificate of completion will be printed and mailed to your permanent address that we have on file. The licensee submits the original certificates of completion and the CE filing fee of $5.00 to the insurance department with the license renewal form. Licensee keeps copy of certificates of completion in his or her files for four years.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Nebraska Insurance Department Licensing Division
Suite 400, Terminal Building
941 "O" St.
Lincoln, NE 68508-3639
Phone: (402) 471-4913 or (402) 471-4659
State Website: http://www.doi.ne.gov/