Montana State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- All resident insurance producers, consultants and surplus lines licensees will be required to complete 24 CE credit hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
Producers who hold a credit life/ disability license must complete 5 hrs biennially.
Adjusters are required to complete 24 CE credit hours biennially and will begin reporting CE with the renewal reports due 01/01/2007.
Course Subject Requirements
- Resident and non residents must complete 1 credit hour of Montana law, biennially.
- Producers licensed for limited lines only must complete the 5 hour requirement in insurance law, ethics, and/or credit life and credit disability insurance.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hourLTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Same as License Renewal Date. The renewal date is the first day of the agent's birth month biennially. (The renewal date for agents born in odd years will be in odd years, and the renewal date for agents born in even years will be in even years.)
Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses or classroom study.
Carryover not allowed.
Courses may not be repeated for credit.
Final exam must be monitored by a training director or disinterested third party. (i.e. an individual not related to or able to benefit from the actions of the agent)
- The licensee holds a temporary license.
- The licensee has been otherwise exempted by the Montana commissioner.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once you have completed your exam. Licensees must file prior to the compliance deadline. Filing forms will be mailed to the licensee prior to the filing deadline. The producer keeps a copy of the filing forms and the original certificates of completion in their files for 3 years. Licensees may also file continuing education credits online.
- Nonresident producer submit letter of certification (not more than 90 days old) or current printout from the PDB showing compliance with home state CE, a completed Montana summary report form and nonresident license renewal fee to the insurance department by the renewal date.
- Nonresident adjusters who do not have a home state requirement must meet this state's continuing education requirement.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Montana Insurance Division
840 Helena Avenue
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (800) 332-6148 or (406)444-2040
State Website: http://www.sao.mt.gov/