Mississippi State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
Course work must be in the line or lines for which license is held.
- Life, Health, and Accident: 24 hours annually, including 3 hours of ethics
- Property and Casualty: 24 hours annually, including 3 hours of ethics
- Producers who have been licensed 18 months or less are required to complete 12 hours without ethics during the license term.
- Combined L/H and P/C licensees must complete a minimum of 12 hours in their primary line of insurance. Licensees are encouraged to complete 12 hours in their secondary line. Primary line of insurance must be determined by licensee and reported on renewal application
- Adjusters: 12 hours annually
- Effective September 1, 2013: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours by September 1, 2014. All producers licensed on or after September 1, 2013 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products. *Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Mississippi's law will be deemed compliant for Mississippi's requirement.
Course Subject Requirements
- All courses must be completed for the lines of insurance for which the producer is licensed.
- All Mississippi licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
After May 31, 2010 all licenses will expire on the last day of the birth month of the licensee on a biennial basis. Licenses may be renewed online 67 days prior to the expiration date.
All licenses originally issued after November 1, 2009 will expire on the last day of the birth month of the licensee on a biennial basis. Licenses may be renewed online 67 days prior to the expiration date.
Adjusters renew annually with each license term ending on May 31st.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom courses.
Carryover of excess CE credit hours is not allowed.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a license term.
Self-study final exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- Agents who hold only a limited-lines license that did not require a written exam
- Inactive agents
- Agents holding the limited licenses of industrial fire, industrial LAH, credit life, credit A&H, vehicle physical damage or credit property.
- Newly licensed agents are exempt for the reporting period in which the license is issued
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you upon completion of the exam. The course provider will submit credits earned to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. Certificates of completion must be submitted with renewal form for P/C and LH license renewal. Producers must keep copies of certificates for at least 5 years
Exempt if producer meets home state CE requirement.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Mississippi Insurance Department
Agents Licensing Unit
PO Box 79
Jackson, MS 39205-0079
Mississippi Department of Insurance (MID)
1001 Woolfolk State Office Building
501 North West St.
Jackson, MS 39201
PHONE: (601) 359-3582 -OR- (601) 359-2780
FAX: (601) 359-1951
State Website: http://www.mid.state.ms.us/
To check the status of your CE credits for your state:
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- Go to http://www.sircon.com/
- Click, "For Producers/Agents"
- Click, "Check Your Status with a State"
- Click, "Individual" for the "Status Inquiry"
- Choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your SSN and License number
- Click, "Submit".