Minnesota State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially including 3 hours of ethics.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.
- Agents selling, soliciting, or negotiating long-term care insurance must complete an initial 8 hour course on Long Term Care insurance and 4 hours on Long Term Care every two years thereafter.
- All Minnesota licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The license renewal date is the last day of the licensee's birth month. This change will be phased in according to the accompanying "Birth month renewals" chart provided by the Minnesota Department of Commerce.
Click here to find the MN Birth Month Renewal Chart.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Classroom, online self study, Insurance company sponsored courses.
Producers are limited to a maximum of 15 credit hours per reporting period for any combination of courses utilizing these methods.
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY The Minnesota Department of Commerce now requires that all online continuing education courses record the actual time the student spends in the course and not allow access to the final exam until the student's time equals the number of approved credit hours for the course. The course must also be stopped if the student has been inactive for more than 10 minutes. For more details click here
Carryover of excess CE hours is not allowed.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in a three-year period.
Final exam is required to be monitored. Monitor form can be found here: www.kruise.com/monitorpage2.html
- Individuals licensed less than 6 months prior to the first renewal date are exempt for the first reporting period.
- Individuals who hold a full-lines license but use it to sell only credit life, credit accident and health and/or credit property. (Must request exemption form from the insurance department.)
- Inactive producers (must file a waiver form with the Department)
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be e-mailed to you upon exam completion. The course provider will submit credits earned to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. The producer certifies at license renewal that they have completed the CE requirement. The producer keeps the original certificates of completion in their files.
A nonresident whose home state has a reciprocal agreement with Minnesota is exempt. A nonresident whose home state does not have a reciprocal agreement with Minnesota may apply hours earned in the home state or another CE state to Minnesota's CE requirement.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Minnesota Department of Commerce
Office of the Commissioner
85 7th Place East, Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55101
Phone: (651) 296-6319 -OR- (800) 657-3978
Fax: (651) 284-4107
State's website: http://www.commerce.state.mn.us/