Michigan State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
24 hours biennially, 3 of which MUST be Ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- 21 hours can be completed for ANY line held.
- 3 hours MUST be certified Ethics.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.
- Agents selling, soliciting, or negotiating long-term care insurance must complete an initial 8 hour course on Long Term Care insurance and 4 hours on Long Term Care every two years thereafter.
- All Michigan licensed producers authorized to sell flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Biennial compliance date is determined by your month and date of birth at least 12 months after the issuance of your initial license. The first scheduled review date must permit a producer at least 12 months before the first CE review date. See the samples below.
Date of Initial License
Date of Birth
1st CE Review date
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party. (i.e. not the student's relative, or business associate)
Excess CE credit hours may not be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in each reporting period.
- Individuals licensed only for one or more of the following lines: Credit Products, Limited Life, Turkey, Crop & Hail, Travel, Accident and/or Baggage, Title, and/or Credit Products.
- Individuals who apply for and receive a hardship waiver for terminal illness of self or of immediate family member who requires an ordinate amount of care by licensee or military duty.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports earned credits to the CE administrator within one day of course completion. Producer keeps the original certificates of completion in their files. If there is ever a dispute concerning earned credits, the producer must correct the problem directly with the education provider who in turn will correct it with the CE administrator.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in Michigan and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
Exempt if producer meets home state CE requirement. If producer does not meet home state CE requirement, producer must comply with Michigan's CE requirement.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Office of Insurance Licensing & Market Conduct
530 W. Allegan St. 7th Floor
Lansing, MI 48933
Toll Free: 877-999-6442
State Website: www.michigan.gov/difs
To check the status of your CE credits for your state:
*You will need to provide your name and/or the last 4 digits of your SSN.*