Massachusetts State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Producer: 60 hours during the first 3 years of licensure; 45 hours every 3 years thereafter.
- Adjuster: 15 hours triennially.
- All property and casualty producers who sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour flood insurance course.
- Long-Term Care: *Effective January 23, 2013*
- Initial 8-hour training requirement: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate long-term care products in Massachusetts must complete a one-time state approved training course of at least 8-hours by July 1, 2014. Producers licensed on or after January 23, 2013 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
- Ongoing 4-hour training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour LTC training requirement, producers must complete a 4 hour follow-up training course every 24-months following the initial training.
Course Subject Requirements
At least one credit hour should be completed in a course approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Triennially on renewal date. (Same as license issuance date.) License renewal date is date of issuance, triennially.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
A maximum of 45 excess hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a three year period.
Self-study final exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- Individuals licensed in Massachusetts prior to 4/5/83, except for those persons who, although licensed prior to 4/5/83, amended their licenses after that date by passing an insurance exam for an additional line of insurance, and those persons who were unlicensed for more than a year immediately prior to 4/5/83.
- Individuals who are auto club agents, travel accident & baggage agents, licensed insurance advisors and/or fraternal agents.
- The licensee holds one of the following limited lines authorities: travel, accident & baggage insurance, or credit insurance.
- The licensee holds a viatical brokers/representative license.
- The licensee holds a reinsurance intermediary brokers/managers license.
- The licensee holds a surplus lines brokers license.
- The licensee holds an advisors license.
- The licensee is a nonresident licensee in a state with reciprocity with Massachusetts.
- The licensee is on active military duty.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be e-mailed to you once your exam is completed. Course provider reports credits earned to CE administrator within one business day of course completion. CE administrator maintains current list of producer credits. Producers maintain copies of the certificates of completion fro future auditing by the Division of Insurance.
Exempt, if licensee meets CE requirement for home or any state where an active license is held, the nonresident licensee must then comply with Massachusetts CE requirements (see required continuing education hours above).
For Additional Information Please Contact
Massachusetts Insurance Division
One South Station
Boston, MA 02210-2208
Mailing Address: Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Division of Insurance
1000 Washington Street, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02118-6200
Phone: (617) 521-7794 opt 2 -OR- (800) 742-8731
Fax: (617) 521-7576
State Website: www.mass.gov/doi