Maryland State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Twenty-four (24) CE credit hours are required biennially to renew a license.
- Annuity producers must complete a one-time four-hour training course by May 1, 2012.
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- LH/PC combined licensees must complete 4 hours in each LH and PC.
- Individuals wishing to sell LTC must complete 2 hours of LTC education prior to selling and then biennially thereafter. The 2 hours counts towards the CE requirement.
- Agents wishing to sell LTCP must also complete a 8-hour LTCP requirement prior to selling LTCP products. The LTCP requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTCP course to continue selling LTCP.
- All P/C Producers who sell Flood Insurance must complete 2 CE credits in Flood Insurance biennially.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
One day prior to license renewal. License renewal date is license issuance date biennially.
The license term is every 2 years ending on the last day of the producer's birth month.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses, classroom or insurer-sponsored courses.
Credit will not be give for a course that is repeated within a 2 year period. If the courses is taken in 2 consecutive reporting periods, there must be 6 months between completion dates.
Self-study exams are not required to be monitored.
- Nonresident agents are not required to complete CE courses.
- Individuals licensed less than 1 year at the time of the compliance date.
- Individuals who hold a credit life, credit health, or travel license.
- Agents who are 70 years of age or older
- Individuals authorized to sell only HMO coverage, travel insurance, and credit insurance
- Maryland attorneys who hold a producer license to sell title insurance and are in good standing with the Maryland Court of Appeals
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE Administrator within one business day of course completion. The licensee keeps the certificate of completion in his or her files for four years.
A roster fee of $0.60 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in Maryland and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Maryland Insurance Administration
200 St. Paul Place Suite 2700
Baltimore, MD 21202-2272
PHONE: (410) 468-2000
FAX: (410) 468-2399
State Website: http://www.mdinsurance.state.md.us/sa/jsp/Mia.jsp