Maine State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- 3 hours of ethics must be included as part of the total 24 hour requirement.
- All Maine licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
License continuation. Continuation date is the end of the licensee's birth month in even or odd years. Licensees born in even years will have continuation dates in even years. Licensees born in odd years will have continuation dates in odd years.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses or classroom study.
No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
No CE credit may be earned for repeating a course previously taken during the same biennium.
Self-study exams are not required to be monitored.
- Individuals holding limited licenses (such as title insurance).
- Individuals licensed less than one year at the time of the first CE compliance date are exempt for that first reporting period.
- Nonresident producers who meet their home states' CE requirements are exempt from Maine CE requirements if that home state has a reciprocal arrangement with Maine.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider mails a report of credits earned to the insurance bureau within one business day of course completion. Producer keeps the original certificates of completion on his or her files.
Nonresident licensees must hold an active license in their resident state. Satisfaction of a nonresident producer's home state's CE requirements for licensed insurance producers constitutes satisfaction of this State's continuing education requirements, if the nonresident producer's home state recognizes the satisfaction of its continuing education requirements by producers from this State on the same basis.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Maine Insurance Bureau
34 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0034
Maine Department of Insurance
76 Northern Ave.
Gardiner, ME 04345
Phone: (207) 624-8411 -OR- (207) 624-8412 -OR- (207) 624-8413
Fax: (207) 624-8599
State Website: http://maine.gov/pfr/insurance/