Kansas State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 12 CE credit hours are required biennially to renew a single license (L/H or P/C).
- 24 hours biennially for combined LH/PC (12 hours each).
- 4 hours biennially for title insurance.
- 2 hours biennially for crop insurance and life licensees who sell only pre-need funeral insurance.
Course Subject Requirements
- LH and PC licensees must complete 1 hour of ethics as part of their 12 hour requirement. Combined LH/PC must complete 2 hours of ethics- 1 hour for L/H and 1 hour for P/C as part of their 24 hour requirement.
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- LH/PC combined licensees must complete 50% of hours in each LH and PC.
- Courses must be completed in the lines in which a license is held.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours
- Agency management courses limited to 3 hours per reporting period.
- All Kansas resident insurance producers licensed in property and casualty or personal lines of authority that may sell a flood insurance policy must complete a one-time course related to NFIP which will provide at least three (3) hours of continuing education credit. These three (3) hours are not required in addition to the normal 12 hours.
- Agents wishing to sell LTC must also complete a 8-hour LTC requirement prior to selling LTC products. The LTC requirement counts towards the completion of the basic CE requirement. By the end of each consecutive renewal period, agents must complete a 4-hour "refresher" state-approved LTC course to continue selling LTC. In addition, producers must complete 1 hour of state-approved Kansas LTCP training each term thereafter.
- Public adjusters must compete 1 hour in approved ethics courses. All other hours must be completed in approved property/casualty courses.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
Same as license renewal date.
License Renewal Date
License renewal date is the agent's date of birth biennially. Licensee's born in odd numbered years report in odd years, even numbered years report even years.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses or classroom courses.
Credit will not be given for a course (including those approved to meet the ethics requirement) that is repeated within a 2 year period.
Self-study exams must be monitored by an independent third party. (i.e. not affiliated in anyway with the sponsoring organization or the licensee).
Individuals licensed less than two years at the time of the compliance date.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once the exam is complete. Course Provider will submit course credits to the CE administrator within one business day of course completion. Copies of the certificates of completion must be submitted to the insurance department by the renewal date. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for the remainder of the biennium in which the courses were completed and the entire biennium immediately following.
Exempt if licensee takes courses to meet home state CE requirement. The insurance department will use the PDB to verify home state license status.
For Additional Information please Contact:
Kansas Insurance Department
Agents and Licensing Division
420 S.W. 9th St.
Topeka, KS 66612-1678
Phone: (785) 296-3071
Fax: (785) 296-7805
State Website: http://www.ksinsurance.org/