Iowa State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- 36 hours, 3 of these credits must be in the subject of ethics.
- All Iowa licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3-hour requirement on flood insurance.
- All annuity producers must complete a one-time 4 hour annuity training course.
- All producers selling indexed life products must complete a one-time 4 hour training course.
- Producers selling long term care insurance must complete an initial 8 hour course on long-term care prior to selling long-term care policies and a 4 hour course biennially thereafter.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
The license term is the last day of the licensee's birth month every 3 years. CE and license renewal must be completed prior to the expiration date on the license. You may track your CE credits and verify your expiration date on the state website at: www2.iid.state.ia.us/iidweb/agents/licensing
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses (50% of credit hours of the total requirement may be met through self-study) and Classroom study.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a licensed producer or education provider.
No excess CE credit hours may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in each CE term.
- A producer who is licensed for credit (18), crop (4), or surety (5). This producer need not report CE credits but must pay the appropriate fee to renew the license.
- A producer who is an attorney licensed to sell insurance. The producer/attorney must file a report showing proof of compliance with the continuing legal education requirement for the attorney's home state and pay the CE fee and the renewal fee. If the attorney does not have a CE requirement in their home state, they must comply with the Iowa insurance CE requirements.
- A nonresident producer who lives in a state where CE is required. These producers must file the renewal notice through the NIPR gateway. For details, visit http://www.licenseregistry.com/
- A producer who successfully completes an examination for a line of authority which requires continuing education. This exemption is only for the CE term in which the examination was completed, prior to the first license renewal.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate will be e-mailed to you after you complete the exam. The course provider reports credit earned to the insurance division within one business day of course completion and maintains attendance records for each course for at least 4 years. The producer keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files for 4 years.
A roster fee of $1.00 per CE hour is required to process course completion hours in Iowa and will be added to the order upon checkout.
Exempt if they live in a state or district having a CE requirement for insurance producers. Producer must file the producer renewal report and pay the renewal fee. Letter of Certification is no longer required. Insurance division will use the PDB to verify license status.
Company Appointment Renewal Invoicing Fee Increase
Effective November 1, 2011, NIPR will be increasing the fees charged for Company Appointment Renewal Invoicing. This unique product supports Regulatory requirements related to a carriers' renewal of producer appointments.
The NIPR processing fee will equal 1% of total state fees charged with a minimum of $5.00 and a maximum of $1,000.00.
# of appts
Transaction fee is 1% of $2000.00 or $20.00
For Additional Information please Contact:
Iowa Insurance Division
Department of Commerce
330 Maple Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0065
Phone: (515) 281-7761
State Website: http://www.iid.state.ia.us/