Indiana State Requirements
*Effective with Producers who renew on or after June 30, 2014: 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of Ethics, are required every 2 year license term (see license term below).
24 CE hours are required every 2 year license term (see license term below).
- Producers who last renewed in 2011 will be required to obtain 20 hours before they renew in 2013.
- The conversion to birth month renewals began with producers renewing in May 2012. As of May 2012, when license renewals and reinstatements were processed, the new license renewal date was set to the last day of the birth month. This process should be completed by the end of May 2015.
Course Subject Requirements
Long-Term Care: Producers who sell long-term care policies must complete 8 hours of LTC education prior to selling LTC. The 8 hours may be counted as part of the required CE credits for the compliance period in which they were completed. The producer must include 5 hours of LTC CE every 2 years, for a total of 10 hours per compliance period, in their total CE requirement. If the initial training is completed in the first 2 years of the compliance period, the producer must complete 5 hours of LTC CE in the second 2 years of the compliance period. Producers who will sell LTC policies under the Indiana Partnership for Long-Term Care Program must satisfy a one-time, 7 hour training requirement, in addition to the 8 hour pre-sale LTC training requirement. The 15 total hours may be credited as part of the total CE requirement.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
30 days prior to license renewal date.
License renewal date is the last day of the license issuance month every 4 years.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study, classroom study, computer based training, internet courses, and seminars.
Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a 2 or 4 year licensing period. This includes Indiana-specific LTC courses.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a licensed agent. \
- Producers who are at least 70 years of age and who have been continuously licensed for at least 20 years.
- Nonresidents are exempt if agent meets home state CE requirement. Non-residents are also exempt from LTC requirement, but NOT from Indiana LTC Program requirement.
- Agents who no longer solicit insurance but maintain license to collect commissions on business written while active.
- Individuals completing the one time 15 hour LTC Training will be exempt from completing the minimum 8 hours LTC for the 1st compliance period.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be printed and mailed to your permanent address on file. Course provider will submit course credits to CE administrator within one business day of course completion. A renewal invoice will be mailed to the producer's resident address prior to the expiration date of license. Producer must write course numbers and number of credits earned on back of renewal invoice. Producer submits renewal invoice and fee to address on invoice. The Department no longer maintains a record of producer continuing education hours. Therefore producer must retain certificates of completion in files for at least 4 years.
Exempt if producer meets home state CE requirement and submits a PDB printout indicating resident compliance. Nonresidents also exempt from the regular long-term care requirement (but not from the Indiana Partnership Long-Term Care Program requirement). If producer does not meet home state CE requirement, producer must comply with Indiana's CE requirement.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Indiana Department of Insurance
311 W. Washington St. Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2787
PHONE: (317)232-2413 -OR- (317) 232-5858
FAX: (317) 232-5252
State Website: http://www.state.in.us/idoi/