Idaho State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Resident producers must earn 24 hours of continuing education every two years. 3 of these credit hours must be in law or ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- All agents must take 3 hours of law/ethics each renewal period.
- Producers selling long term care insurance must complete an initial 8 hour course on long-term care prior to selling long-term care policies and a 4 hour course biennially thereafter.
- All Idaho insurance producers licensed in property, casualty or Personal lines of authority who sell flood insurance through NFIP must complete a one-time course related to the NFIP which will provide three (3) hours of continuing education credit no later than 04/01/07. For those Idaho resident insurance producers licensed in property, casualty or personal lines of authority who do not currently sell flood insurance through the NFIP, but who intend to do so in the future, the department is requiring those producers to complete the one-time three (3) credit continuing education course related to NFIP prior to selling flood insurance through NFIP.
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours by October 4, 2013. All producers licensed on or after October 4, 2013 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products. *Nonresidents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Idaho's law will be deemed compliant for Idaho's requirement.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
The compliance date is the license renewal date. The license renewal is the first day of the month following the license issuance date, biennially.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses and Classroom study.
Self-study final exams are not required to be monitored.
Excess CE credit hours may NOT be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a reporting period.
- Nonresident Producers are not required to complete CE courses.
- Limited lines producers.
- Licensees who have applied for and been granted inactive status by the insurance director.
- Licensees on extended active military duty are exempt for the period of duty.
- Independent adjusters.
A roster fee of $1.00 per credit hour ordered is required to process course completion hours in Idaho and will be added to the order total upon checkout.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. The course provider submits a certificate of completion to the licensee as well as submits an attendance roster to the CE administrator within one business day of your exam completion. The licensee transfers information from the certificates of completion to the Continuing Education Statement located on the back of the licensee's renewal form. The licensee keeps a copy of the Continuing Education Statement and the original certificates of completion in his or her files for 3 years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Idaho Insurance Department
Third Floor, 700 W. State St.
Boise, ID 83720-0043
Phone: (208) 334-4250
Fax: (208) 334-4398
State Website: http://www.doi.idaho.gov/