Hawaii State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Life/Accident and Health/Sickness: 20 hours biennially - Must include 3 hours relating to insurance laws and rules.
- For licenses renewing after Aug 16, 2012: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours relating to insurance law or ethics.
- Property/Casualty: 20 hours biennially - Must include 3 hours relating to insurance laws and rules.
- For licenses renewing after Aug 16, 2012: 24 hours biennially, including 3 hours of law or ethics.
- Multiple Lines Life/Accident or Health/Sickness, AND Property/Casualty): 30 hours biennially (12 in L/H-10 subject and 2 laws and 18 in P/C-16 subject and 2 laws).
- For licenses renewing after Aug 16, 2012: 24 hours biennially, including 10 hours in L/H or sickness, 11 hours in P/C and 3 hours in law or ethics.
Course Subject Requirements
- Courses must be in line of license held. Multi-line producers must complete 10 hours in L/H and A/S; 11 hours in P/C, and 3 hours of law or ethics.
- Producers licensed to sell insurance in only one line of authority must have 3 hours relating to insurance laws and rules as part of the 20 hour CE requirement.
- Producers licensed to sell insurance in multiple lines of authority (Life/Accident or Health/Sickness, and Property/Casualty) must have 4 hours relating to insurance laws and rules in both P/C and L/H as part of the 30 hour CE requirement (12 hours in L/H including 10 L/H hours and 2 L/H law hours and 18 hours in P/C including 16 P/C hours and 2 P/C law hours).
- All Hawaii licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies shall be required to complete a one-time 3 hour requirement on flood insurance.
Effective January 1, 2012: All nonresident annuity producers must complete a one-time 4-hour annuity training course before selling in HI.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Producers' licenses renew on the 16th day of their birth month. Even months renew in even years, odd months renew in odd years.
Types of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self-study courses, classroom study, and insurance company sponsored courses.
Excess CE credit hours may NOT be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a reporting period.
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- A licensee who has been licensed for less than two years at the time of the licensee's first renewal.
- Nonresident agents are exempt if the home state has a reciprocal agreement with Hawaii.
Method to Certify Completion
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you after you complete an exam. The provider submits credits earned to the insurance division and maintains attendance records for 5 years. The licensee keeps the original certificates of completion in their files for 4 years.
For Additional Information Please Contact
Hawaii Insurance Division
PO Box 3614
Honolulu, HI 96811-3614
PHONE: (808) 586-2788
FAX: (808) 586-2806
State Website: http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins/