Georgia State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Agents licensed less than 20 years require thirty (30) CE credit hours biannually. (Must include 6 hours of ethics.)
- Agents licensed 20 years or more require twenty (20) CE credit hours biannually. (Must include 6 hours of ethics.)
- Limited sub-agents (credit life and credit accident and sickness, personal PC, private passenger auto, homeowners including all personal property, and personal LH) and credit licensees require five (5) CE credit hours annually. (No ethics required.)
- Individuals holding a CPCU, CLU, FLMI, CIC, CEBS, CHFC, or AAI designation need six (6) hours CE credit annually and they must attach a proof of designation. (Must include 3 hours of ethics.)
- Newly licensed individuals who were exempt from the prelicense education requirement will have a prorated CE requirement for the first reporting period.
Course Subject Requirements
Continuing Education Compliance Date
- All licensees (except limited subagents) must complete 3 hours of ethics as part of their regular CE requirement.
- All CE hours other than ethics must be completed in approved courses for the lines of insurance for which agent is licensed.
- For individuals holding a limited subagent license in addition to an agent license, no more than 5 credit hours can come from courses related to the line(s) of insurance of the limited subagent license.
ALL agents must complete their CE requirements on or before 12/31 annually. To avoid possible lapse in licensure,it is recommended that CE be completed prior to November 1st annually.License Renewal Date
License renewal date is the same date as compliance date.Type of courses accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses or classroom courses.Carryover Requirements
Excess hours (to a maximum of 50% of the CE requirement for the next reporting period) may be carried over to the next reporting period. Excess ethics hours may be applied to the regular CE requirement, but cannot be carried over as ethics hours.Course Repetition
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a 24 month period, except for courses on current issues, ethics or legislative updates, which can be taken once every 12 months. Final Exam
Self-study final exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party. (Someone with no business or family relationship.)
Method to Certify Completion:
- Nonresident Producers are not required to complete CE courses.
- Newly licensed individuals who completed the Georgia prelicense education requirement are exempt for the first reporting period.
- Individuals who hold a professional designation that requires CE (other than the CLU, CPCU, FLMI ,CIC, CEBS, CHFC, or AAI designations) may request CE credit from the insurance department for the number of CE hours completed for the designation.
- A reduction of hours may be requested for time spent on insurance-related activities during the previous reporting period, including teaching, legislative, journalistic and research activities.
- Individuals who hold a inactive license because they have been licensed as an agent for 10 consecutive years or more and do not perform any insurance functions other than receiving renewal or deferred commissions.
Your certificate of completion will be e-mailed to you once you have completed your exam. The course provider reports credits earned to the CE Administrator within one business day of course completion and maintains records in files for 3 years. The agent keeps the original certificates of completion in his or her files for 5 years.For Additional Information, Please Contact
Georgia Insurance Department
Agents Licensing Section
908 West Tower Floyd Building
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30334
State Website: http://www.inscomm.state.ga.us/To Check the Status of Your CE Credits
*You will need your SSN and License number*
- Go to http://www.sircon.com.
- Click, "For Producers/Agents".
- Click, "Obtain Education Information".
- Click, "Education Transcript Inquiry".
- Input your SSN, choose your state from the pull-down menu, and input your License number.
- Click, "Submit".