Delaware State Requirements
Continuing Education Hours
- Resident licensees are required to complete 24 credit hours of Department approved education subjects, 3 of which shall be in ethics subjects, during each biennium reporting period.
- Adjusters, Public Adjusters & Fraternal Producers shall be required to fulfill 12 credit hours of Department approved education subjects, 3 of which shall be in ethics subjects during each biennium reporting period.
Course Subject Requirements
- All producers and adjusters must complete 3 hours in ethics as part of their regular CE requirement.
- Resident producers that hold a health license and solicits long term care policies, must complete at least 3 hours of training in Delaware long term care insurance that consist of product knowledge, laws, rules and regulations, as part of his/her biennial requirement. The long term care CE requirement does not need to be met prior to solicitation of the product, however, the requirement must be met during the biennium that the long term care policy was solicited.
- Any resident licensee who is authorized to write homeowners or personal lines coverage shall be required to complete a one time two (2) hour continuing education course related to flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program as part of the twenty-one (21) general credit hours necessary to maintain a Delaware resident license.
Continuing Education Compliance Date
All continuing education credits must be achieved by the date of the license renewal.
Residents renew February 28, even numbered years. Non-residents renew February 28, odd numbered years.
Type of Courses Accepted for CE Credit
Independent self study courses, internet based courses and classroom courses.
A maximum of 5 hours may be carried over to the next reporting period. The carryover credits shall not apply to the ethics credit requirement.
Courses may not be taken for credit more than once in a 2 year compliance period.
Final exam is not required to be monitored.
- Individuals licensed only for title or public carrier insurance.
- Newly licensed individuals are exempt for the biennium in which the license is issued.
- Resident adjusters licensed for Fidelity & Surety and/or Marine & Transportation.
- Non-resident adjusters.
- Limited lines producer licensed for life insurance or annuity products used solely to fund a pre-need arranged funeral program.
Method to Certify Completion
You will be able to print your certificate of completion online once you have completed your exam. A copy of the course report form must be submitted to the insurance department by the compliance date. The licensee keeps the original course report form and certificate of completion in his or her files for 3 years.
Producers and adjusters meet the CE requirement of their resident state. Verification of license status will be confirmed through the NAIC Producer Database (PDB).
For Additional Information please Contact:
Delaware Insurance Department
841 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904-2465
Phone: (302)739-4254 ext 147 or 302-674-7300
Fax: (302) 739-5280
State Website: http://www.delawareinsurance.gov/